favorite, most reliable octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FijiBound

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for direction on a reliable, always there octo. Anyone have any suggestions. I was considering the Mares Octopus MV, because I have seen it in nearly every package deal on the internet, and figured it must be decent. I don't really know, though. I have already posted a thread on the mares manufacturer board asking about it. I will be diving in warm waters in Fiji, if that helps. I don't anticipate any dives that are too deep, but the option would be nice.

I'm not sure whether seeing it in a lot of Internet packages is a particular recommendation... but my wife and I both have Dacor Viper octos; it looks like it's identical to this Mares, just re-badged. (Is Dacor really, finally dead?)

I just ordered two more Mares MVs for our two kids, so we all have the same type octopus. I think that's important, since we're usually each others' buddies in some combination; and the purge button location and design are a little unusual, so I think familiarity is good here.

I like it because it can be used from either side... donated with a a flick of my wrist, or I can use it myself if I need to.

Reliable? I don't dive as much as I'd like to, but the Vipers have never free-flowed on us.

--Marek

The Mares MV is the Dacor Viper just re-badged Mares. it uses the same guts as the Mares Proton. and for a side breather it is pretty wet.

Advice....Always carry a spare seat for this second stage.

Mr preference is for the Zeagle Envoy, bomb proof Second Stage, and a nice venturi control so you never get those nasty gas wasting free flows when you jump off the boat.

Cheers
Chriso

Oceanic alpha 8. solid, reliable and reasonable price. However, do make sure it is compatible with your primary and first stage first

Sydney_Diver:
[...] for a side breather it is pretty wet.
Don't side-breathers tend to breathe wet? Exhaust valve isn't at the lowest point. Do you mean even for a side-breather?

Sydney_Diver:
Advice....Always carry a spare seat for this second stage.
Why? And do they take just "normal" seats (one of which I already do carry in my save-a-dive kit)?

Marek K:
...my wife and I both have Dacor Viper octos; it looks like it's identical to this Mares, just re-badged. (Is Dacor really, finally dead?)
Mares bought Dacor for it's patents and essentially started deconsrtucting the company the day after the sale was final. It's too bad as Dacor had a history of producing very good and very innovative designs.

I bought a couple Dacor Viper octos a few years ago because we wanted side exhaust octos - no "upside down" is a handy feature in an octo and they also tuck or lay nicely in a traditioanl setup. No problems, though the shop that services my gear thinks they're junk - no issues getting them serviced, they just don't like them. They do seem a bit cheesy and have a weak purge. The 15 year old standard Sherwood octos they replaced breathed better. If I were buying now I would probably be looking at the Apeks Egress but it wasn't out at the time.

If you don't have a particular desire to get a side exhaust octo, I'd look at other models.

I like the idea of a spare seat for the viper octo as mine went through a seat really quickly and developed an annoying freeflow. I'm not nuts about mine and would consider selling it if it were worth anything. It does breathe a little wet; I almost never dive with it any more. A much better choice IMO is the tried and true SP R190, or an old SP metal case 2nd stage upgraded to balanced/adjustable. That way you can tighten down the spring to keep it from free flowing when not in use, and store it with the spring all the way out to preserve the seat. The metal case is much more durable, very important for an alternate that tends to get banged around a bit and not constantly used.

I dove until recently with and Aqua Lung ABS which worked well for me. Its small and out of the way and unidirectional (word?) since it has the exhaust to the side. I recently upgraded to the Apex Egress which is pretty much the same thing except for the pneumatic balance and moved the ABS to my pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom