Favorite Brand of Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elenec

Reaction score
Good quality for a reasonable price? Are there particular brands more suited for women? How about durablitity? I will be purchasing a 7mm with a hooded vest most likely. Any suggestions or thoughts for a newbie whose out to go shopping?

I'm not looking for something extremely pricey just something to start out with until I graduate to one! =)

BTW I'm 5'4" and have a petite figure.

The Henderson Hyperstretch's sure are nice. Of course they cost a little more, but since they are HyperStretch, they fit soooooo well.

You can pic up a Tilos or Akona wetsuit and they are easier on the budget.

elenec:
Good quality for a reasonable price? Are there particular brands more suited for women? How about durablitity? I will be purchasing a 7mm with a hooded vest most likely. Any suggestions or thoughts for a newbie whose out to go shopping?

I'm not looking for something extremely pricey just something to start out with until I graduate to one! =)

BTW I'm 5'4" and have a petite figure.

Several threads are running in the exposure protestion form centered on BARE. I have 4 pieces from them and I have no regrets, BTW I'm male. They have the hooded vest made to wear under a full suit , it includes a nice neck dam. They also have the sleeveless step-in hooded shortie depending how much protection you need.

Good prices, nice suits as broad a size selection as you will find short of custom.

Pete

Fit and proportion are critical; unfortunately, there's no way to judge that without trying the suit on. I tried a Bare at my LDS, and the proportions were all wrong for me. I'm petite (5'2", 110#) but I do have hips and not much in the, er, chest. The Bare that fit perfectly in the lower body was way too big in the chest and shoulders. I could grab a handful of material in the upper chest. But my friend (also petite, but proportioned differently) loves hers; she has broader shoulders and slim hips.
Hyperstretch has the advantage of accomodating a variety of body types, but you may find a good fit for less; you just have to try different suits on.

Deborah

I'll second the hyperstretch. I'm a big guy 6'3" 265, but I let my bigger dive buddy 6'3'' 340 at the time borrow my same suit he usualy weres a suit two sizes larger than me but mine fit him as well. I would look at a hyperstretch maybe one on the small side of your hip measuremnets. That way when it stretches it will fit tight everywear. they are more money up front but I tink the comfort and ease of donning more than makes up for the price.

I won't dive in anything but my Henderson Hyperstretch. While in Florida last year I tried on every brand and decided they are all cut to fit men, with slight modifications for women....but not actually designed for REAL women! :wink: Due to the super-stretchiness of the Hyperstretch, it is extremely forgiving of body type, and weight gain/loss (to the tune of 20#). There are other wetsuits that claim to be stretchy, but I haven't found any as good as the Henderson (yet).

I totally agree that you have to try on as many as you can find before buying. Since we're all shaped so differently, that's the only way you're going to find the right one.

Triple-L / ScubaL (www.scubal.com) are now selling superstretch. I don't have the new superstretch, but I have an older 7mm suit from them. I am very happy with it so far. I almost purchased the superstretch today just because. The price is $87+shipping. Pretty darned good in my opinion.

[
BTW I'm 5'4" and have a petite figure.[/QUOTE]
Try Body Glove, they seem to be cut for the more athletic body shapes.

LOVE my Henderson Hyperstretch ... started with a full, and then eventually got a shortie as well. They are seriously worth the extra expense. Being short & busty, the others I tried choked the heck out of me in one spot, too loose in another. One you try one, there's no going back as they are SO comfortable!

cmalinowski:
Triple-L / ScubaL (www.scubal.com) are now selling superstretch. I don't have the new superstretch, but I have an older 7mm suit from them. I am very happy with it so far. I almost purchased the superstretch today just because. The price is $87+shipping. Pretty darned good in my opinion.
The Hybrid Superstretch Custom-made Jumpsuits are also available at our other webstore site at http://store.triple-l.biz.

Back
Top Bottom