Fav. Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure we could spread this out to other than wrecks, I know there are apparently some good shore dives in Ontario. So if you want to mention them as well thats cool. I am still trying to figure out my favourite.

I know my fav for many years (have not done it in a while) is the Olive Branch in Picton. I truly enjoyed that wreck...damn, but then that brings up the sheboygan..then the eccles, marsh so many others.

Darryl

My favourite dive is the Panorama Reef in the Red Sea. Its a mountain in the middle of the abyss that has very strong current and abundance of sea flora and fauna that just thrive in the current. Various kinds of sharks, turtles. Yellow and red gorgonias that expand 2-3 meters and endless visibility not to talk about the warm water.
In Ontario, I always enjoyed the drift dives along the St. Claire River. They are fast and you'll always have a different scenario when diving it. Plenty of big fish to see. Bumped once into a huge sturgeon while on a bottle dive.
In Canada my favourite dive spot is on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. It's called Grand Narrows. It has a bridge, a wreck and ripping current as well. So many Sea urchins and starfish that you could think you're in the tropics if the water wasn't cold :wink:
You may have noticed that I enjoy dives in ripping current :D

I have to agree with the Olive Branch/Annie Falconer dive duo out of Picton. Those were the wrecks that really sold me on cold water diving. Another HUGE favourite is the Waome in Lake Muskoka.... if you can time that dive so that you head down while her sister ship the Segwun is cruising by on the surface...
And I love to dive the Morrison in Barrie, right after a class of OW students have kicked the vis to 1-2 FT, because it makes me appreciate EVERY OTHER WRECK IN THE PROVINCE!!!!! :)

That would have to be in Santa Lucia with the bull sharks and in Trinidad, a great wall dive... 7 km down. Kimmy and I are going back for our honeymoon! 20 days and counting.

I forgot all about the waome, that was such a nice wreck. I have not done it in a year or two and am afraid to head up to see what it looks like now. I may be slightly dating my diving carreer but does anyone else remember when it was intact (windows in the stern, captains quarters intact, shoe under decking etc?)

Darryl

PS. the last time I went on that wreck I swore that I would not visit it again. It broke my heart so bad to see what divers had done to it since the first time I dove on it. Shame on those that ripped holes in the wall and took stuff from her!

regtech17:
That would have to be in Santa Lucia with the bull sharks and in Trinidad, a great wall dive... 7 km down. Kimmy and I are going back for our honeymoon! 20 days and counting.

is that Santa Lucia Cuba? I dove there and it was great but I missed out on the shark dive cause no one would sign up for it.

My favorite sites so far would be the Sheyboygan, Tiller and the Southern Trail.

looking forward to many more comming up soon.

Axeman:
is that Santa Lucia Cuba? I dove there and it was great but I missed out on the shark dive cause no one would sign up for it.

My favorite sites so far would be the Sheyboygan, Tiller and the Southern Trail.

looking forward to many more comming up soon.

Yes, that would be Cuba sorry you missed the sharks. I would have to second the city of Sheyboygan.

StatusMaker:
I forgot all about the waome, that was such a nice wreck. I have not done it in a year or two and am afraid to head up to see what it looks like now. I may be slightly dating my diving carreer but does anyone else remember when it was intact (windows in the stern, captains quarters intact, shoe under decking etc?)

Darryl

PS. the last time I went on that wreck I swore that I would not visit it again. It broke my heart so bad to see what divers had done to it since the first time I dove on it. Shame on those that ripped holes in the wall and took stuff from her!

Darryl,
Sadly, you are quite right. The first time I dove the Waome was... well... back when 'ALF' was the hit TV show... LOL and since then it has been looted and damaged quite badly. It seems as if the idiot diver damage has slowed down, but now the ravages of time are starting to catch up... I don't think it will be too many more years before any sort of penetration would be a VERY risky proposition... so, get your picture taken looking out from the wheelhouse while you still can.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom