Fathom vs. KISS Classic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious here

I thought GUE had only JJ and RB80... what is a fathom in gue config? could you provide more info, even in private if you prefer?

The same tank configuration as the GUE JJ (manifolded LP50s,. O2 bottle, and/or Inflation bottle on back of unit) only with a fathom.

I don't believe GUE invented the tank set up, but they certainly brought it into the mainstream. The tank setup isn't unique to the JJ and can be done on other ccr units. It is actually easier to implement on the Fathom due to how the tanks are connected on the Fathom vs the JJ.

The same tank configuration as the GUE JJ (manifolded LP50s,. O2 bottle, and/or Inflation bottle on back of unit) only with a fathom.

I don't believe GUE invented the tank set up, but they certainly brought it into the mainstream. The tank setup isn't unique to the JJ and can be done on other ccr units. It is actually easier to implement on the Fathom due to how the tanks are connected on the Fathom vs the JJ.
Manifolded bailout tanks on the back thing really started with the PVR-BASC rebreather. Part of the drive to make the RB80 the size it is was so two of them could fit in a PVR-BASC frame for redundant rebreathers where setup of safety/bailout isnt practical.

Just curious here

I thought GUE had only JJ and RB80... what is a fathom in gue config? could you provide more info, even in private if you prefer?

The fathom isn't a GUE approved rebreather, but in cave country when people put 50s with Lola valves with both a long hose and necklaced reg we just call it the GUE configuration. Or even a "boat rig". It's just become a colloquialism.
I actually wonder if GUE will ever consider the fathom to add to their stable of approved rebreathers. I don't really know the criteria they use to approve one. But the unit was in the GUE's Quest magazine, the owner of Fathom is now a GUE instructor, and the GUE instructors I know like the Fathom (not that liking it translates to GUE approval).

I never got why GUE sanctioned an eCCR over a manual option, seems more intuitively in line with their core simplicity values.

I love my venerable KC, but it's the only RB I've owned so hardly surprising!

Not sure if the Fathom would make it to the UK.

I never got why GUE sanctioned an eCCR over a manual option, seems more intuitively in line with their core simplicity values.

I love my venerable KC, but it's the only RB I've owned so hardly surprising!

Not sure if the Fathom would make it to the UK.

they probably needed a CE approved unit given they are far bigger outside of the US than inside of the US. None of the mCCR's are CE approved that I'm aware of and it is highly unlikely they ever will be. The current JJ program was developed by instructors in the EU and they are not allowed to sell a non CE approved/configured rebreather.

Fair enough, I think the Triton is CE and manual but, loop is blue but not in a Hacyon way, so wouldn't pass GUE colour coding assessment.

Fair enough, I think the Triton is CE and manual but, loop is blue but not in a Hacyon way, so wouldn't pass GUE colour coding assessment.

I think you're right, I seem to remember something about that now that I think about it, but the Triton is definitely a unique bird and don't think it would work so well with the GUE configuration. The long hose would be real squirrelly and the Triton+ set of doubles would be a nightmare in a cave.
The comment about CE has nothing to do with the units not being able to pass, I'm sure they could, but the cost to do it is very high so they'd have to be able to justify it with extra sales and what not and it obviously hasn't been deemed worthy.

I think you're right, I seem to remember something about that now that I think about it, but the Triton is definitely a unique bird and don't think it would work so well with the GUE configuration. The long hose would be real squirrelly and the Triton+ set of doubles would be a nightmare in a cave.
The comment about CE has nothing to do with the units not being able to pass, I'm sure they could, but the cost to do it is very high so they'd have to be able to justify it with extra sales and what not and it obviously hasn't been deemed worthy.
Hi
Yes indeed the Triton is a mccr and it is CE.
As diving it with a double tank, it is done regularly in Europe and it is not at all a nightmare as the front machine is really not that intrusive once in the water.
As to use it with a long hose, not a problem at all and even better: you don't need to go out of the loop to give it :) :)
The RB can also be clipped in and out without any change of buoyancy.

The fathom isn't a GUE approved rebreather, but in cave country when people put 50s with Lola valves with both a long hose and necklaced reg we just call it the GUE configuration. Or even a "boat rig". It's just become a colloquialism.
I actually wonder if GUE will ever consider the fathom to add to their stable of approved rebreathers. I don't really know the criteria they use to approve one. But the unit was in the GUE's Quest magazine, the owner of Fathom is now a GUE instructor, and the GUE instructors I know like the Fathom (not that liking it translates to GUE approval).
Since when is Charlie a GUE instructor?

@rddvet you can dive the classic with onboard dil. It's not the most glamorous solution though. You would just swap out whatever bottles those are for the bigger bottles and call it a day. I do recommend going with the Fathom though

View attachment 641756
it gets messy when you turn them right side up, and the O2 feed is especially awkward. Can be done, but why lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom