Fatality at Jersey Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebreather blamed for Jillian Smith death in Jersey C.I.

Here we go -

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417562728.987831.jpgP2 Inhale Lower Loop Hose.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417562771.639802.jpgP2 DSV exhale side

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417562859.282987.jpgP2 DSV exhale to P2 Inhale

https://vimeo.com/113446450 Attaching inhale hose with inhale counter-lung to exhale side of P2 DSV. Screws down no problem.

https://vimeo.com/113446528P2 Exhale counter-lung with exhale hose attached to inhale side of P2 DSV. Notice the exposed threads!! Hello?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417563107.146966.jpgCorrectly assembled DSV, notice no exposed threads!

With the inhale lower and counter-lung connected incorrectly by the diver, the P2 FAILS the stereo test, passes the positive, passes the negative, and maintains set-point as selected by the user.

It is clear (to me) the diver had to incorrectly assemble the unit, fail to notice/react and source the reason threads on only one side of the DSV were exposed, pass the Assembly/Post Assembly Checklist incorrectly, pass the Pre-Dive checklist incorrectly, pass the Pre-Dive checklist incorrectly.

Effectively, pairing the exhaust DSV and the inhale lower CL hose takes the scrubber offline, but the unit otherwise works as promised.

BTW - The upper connectors on the lower CL hoses are keyed and are absolutely not interchangeable. The upper CL hoses are not unique or keyed.

With a BOV since the mushroom valves are in the BOV body and not the hose the airflow direction would change. Still making a complete pass through loop. WOB would just be incredibly hard through going reverse through the scrubber.

... The newest version of the DSV has a horizontal cut through the threads to make it fail much more quickly.

Hmmm. This DSV with the keyway across the threads ... how long has it been the current and shipping part that all customers receive?

I need to make an update to my results. The Positive and Negative BOTH fail. They fail very subtly. The newest version of the DSV has a horizontal cut through the threads to make it fail much more quickly.

Define "subtly."

How long does the unit hold a negative pressure?

How long does it hold a positive pressure?

If you do a positive pressure test and submerge the DSV, will it show bubbles (i.e. fail a 6 meter buddy bubble check)?

The above data with a. the old and b. the new version?

P.S. I suspect she would have had already passed out by 6 meters, but I do not know if it is fact, something which would be interesting to find out, that is if they did a bubble-check.

Don't know if this was the problem, but a big thank you for doing and filming this. Thanks HIGHwing!!!

Here we go -

View attachment 198610P2 Inhale Lower Loop Hose.

View attachment 198611P2 DSV exhale side

View attachment 198612P2 DSV exhale to P2 Inhale

https://vimeo.com/113446450 Attaching inhale hose with inhale counter-lung to exhale side of P2 DSV. Screws down no problem.

https://vimeo.com/113446528P2 Exhale counter-lung with exhale hose attached to inhale side of P2 DSV. Notice the exposed threads!! Hello?

View attachment 198613Correctly assembled DSV, notice no exposed threads!

With the inhale lower and counter-lung connected incorrectly by the diver, the P2 FAILS the stereo test, passes the positive, passes the negative, and maintains set-point as selected by the user.

It is clear (to me) the diver had to incorrectly assemble the unit, fail to notice/react and source the reason threads on only one side of the DSV were exposed, pass the Assembly/Post Assembly Checklist incorrectly, pass the Pre-Dive checklist incorrectly, pass the Pre-Dive checklist incorrectly.

Effectively, pairing the exhaust DSV and the inhale lower CL hose takes the scrubber offline, but the unit otherwise works as promised.

BTW - The upper connectors on the lower CL hoses are keyed and are absolutely not interchangeable. The upper CL hoses are not unique or keyed.

Back
Top Bottom