Fatalities from Technical diving-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumbo

Reaction score
I am currently involved in a college research project, in regards to the evolution of Technical diving, too far too soon. And a large portion will be focused on the human toll of Tech. Diving. If any one knows of reliable sources in order validate that there is a notable fatality rate and very inherent risk in Tech. Diving. recommendations/ input would be greatly appreciated and save me a large portion of time.

Input in regards to different training techniques like military, commercial, resort courses, mainstream certification agencies would also be appreciated.

I am really focusing on divers who probably should not be involved in these activities in the first place, with an emphasis of training requirements (to short/to long), physical fitness, age (to old/ young), “macho effect” or peer pressure, too many cert’s, (i.e. patch divers), tech diving for the wrong reasons?, ethical diving practices, (diving in tombs, sacred places, buddy/solo, air or mixed gasses, voodoo gas,)

If y’all have expert advice or advanced knowledge in these areas and know of great references that are not mainstream that would be a great bonus. I am not looking for rudimentary definitions of Technical Diving or information that is any widely known.

Any personal experience with regards to training failure, or if you perhaps fall into one of the above categories your personal insight would be awesome, it would provide direction and maybe point to a solid hypothesis about diving injuries.
I hope my request is not to winded and your input will be seriously considered, again I thank you and appreciate the brother hood that all divers share-

try www.iucrr.org...they have some accident reports for cave diving there, also i was present at a double cave death of 2 ow divers a few years back if you have any questions PM me.

So, you want us to do your homework for you? This is a broad topic, covered in great detail on this board. At the top of the screen you will see a button marked "search" and you can look at more specific areas. The first thing is you need to find a definition of tech diving. When you do let me know cause that is my next research project.

You might at least try and contact the Tech Agencies themselves. If you approach it with an "exceeded their training" point of view vs. the too fast approach as it puts directly into question the abilities of their S&P's and instructors to accurately guage/prepare a students ability.....

I am so glad to see you are going in to this with an open mind.
If you want data to support a conclusion you have already come to, I suggest you use the info that made you reach your hasty conclusion.

jumbo:
I am currently involved in a college research project, in regards to the evolution of Technical diving, too far too soon. And a large portion will be focused on the human toll of Tech. Diving. If any one knows of reliable sources in order validate that there is a notable fatality rate and very inherent risk in Tech. Diving. recommendations/ input would be greatly appreciated and save me a large portion of time.

Gotta agree with Harley, there, Jumbo.

Sounds to me like you came up with your conclusions first, and are now (selectively) seeking citations to prove your point.

You might want to start with the literature review, then form your hypothesis, and then collect your data with a more objective point of view.

Your conclusion may be the same, or not, but it might also be more valid..... :doctor:

Yours in academia,

Doc

HarleyDiver:
I am so glad to see you are going in to this with an open mind.

If you want data to support a conclusion you have already come to, I suggest you use the info that made you reach your hasty conclusion.

Right on, Harley!!! :rofl:

Quote from Jumbo: "I am currently involved in a college research project, in regards to the evolution of Technical diving, too far too soon (sic). And a large portion will be focused on the human toll of Tech. Diving. (sic) If any one knows of reliable sources in order validate that there is a notable fatality rate and very inherent risk in Tech. Diving. recommendations/ input would be greatly appreciated and save me a large portion of time."

Wow, I really missed the idea in college. The real way to do a "research project" is to decide how it will come out in advance. Then you get other people to send you "facts" which purport back up your "result". It really takes ALL of the work out of the job!!

Keep it up, Jumbo, and you will have a great future working for the New York Times or CBS. You could actually get PAID for faking it! Hell, you could actually replace that arrogant idiot Dan Rather! :11:

:whack:

DAN has some numbers on tech incidents... if you log in on their website, you can get the numbers.
They dont have extrodinary info, but numbers about type and sevenity of incidents.

The title is A comprehensive look at Technical Diving, history, current status, and future direction. I should have made that clear.

I guess I left out a question mark out of too far too soon? I apologize for the inconvenience I may have caused. I also believe asking for expert advice is acceptable input for this type of research. And I am not asking you to do my “work” for me but to supplement my search for data. This web site seems to be full of “expert advice” and it seems to be a worthy resource.

A section is dedicated to the human toll of Technical Diving it is not the emphasis or main point of my paper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom