Fast reply Needed - Scubapro Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I will have the chance to buy tomorrow an almost new Scubapro 15liter steel tank (the higher pressure model) 230bars.

It is a year 2001 tank and the price is a steal.

I have dived till today only with 12liter aluminum and 15liter regular steels.

My question is, a friend told me that I am not going to enjoy diving with it as it is WAY TOO HEAVY.

Is that SO TRUE? Can I hear what you think about this?

Please reply quickly as I need to give a yes or a no tomorrow morning.

THANKS!

This is how you should consider this purchase.

1. Switching to heavier and denser steel tank will result in less lead on your weight belt. You now will have it on your back.

2. If your BCD fails, can you ditch what lead you have and swim to the surface?

If the answer to number 2 is yes and number one seems is no a problem, I say go ahead and purchase the tank.

If this is a real HP model (PST manufacture) then it will actually be lighter than the same 15 liter LP steel.

In the USA HP steel generally means 3500 PSI vice 2400 PSI for a LP tank. Faber and Scuba Pro make an "HP" model that is initially rated for 3180 PSI. If the tank is this model then it will be similar to a LP tank of the same volume in weight. But is is much denser and is approximately 12 pound more negative that the LP steel.

An HP (PST) model is lighter and abot 6 pounds less negative than the 3180 HP tank.

This is all base on our USA volume of 120 Cu. Ft. tank.

BILLB once bubbled...
This is how you should consider this purchase.

Faber and Scuba Pro make an "HP" model that is initially rated for 3180 PSI. If the tank is this model then it will be similar to a LP tank of the same volume in weight. But is is much denser and is approximately 12 pound more negative that the LP steel.

I think this is the one. It is not the HP. I understood there are two LP types the regular tank that you can fill to 200 bar and those that you can fill to 230 bar. It has a yoke valve.

It is the heavier 15liter tank.

Will I enjoy diving with it? or will it hurt the fun of diving?

This is likely similar or same as the Faber 3180+ tank sold here in the US. This is a very heavy tank not suitable for diving tropical waters. Basically a dry suit tank.
Pesky

Its color is metalic grey, 15liter, and the sticker says Scubapro Limited Edition. We opened it for a visual check and it was flawless.

Do anyone have the specifications of this tank? Manufacturer, weight, bouyancy etc..? It is hard to read the markings on the tank because of the net. I don't want to remove the net because it is tied so neatly... it is a 2001 model.

Do anyone have this tank? any opinions on my initial question?

A Faber 120 is 7.25 inches in diameter and 28.6 inches long. Empty weight is 45.4 pounds and at 3180 PSI it is 16.6 pounds negative when full and 7.7 pound negative empty. The Faber 100 differs by only a couple of pounds.

I dive with a similar tank both with a dry suit and with a tropical 3 mil. I can swim up from the bottom after ditching the 12 pounds I usually wear with this tank. Like you I was able to purchase it from a small lady who obviously could not handle it.

I routinely get this tank filled to 3500 PSI because I use DIN valves. This tank usually has K (yoke) valves form the manufacture.

On the other hand if this is an LP 120 (Faber) it is a bouyancy beast. It is only 4.5 pounds negative and 4.5 pounds positive when empty. It is a full eight inches in diameter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom