Fast Moving Coral Disease Alert on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stand by my statement there is no scientific basis for any of the precautions being recommended and will gladly stand corrected when referenced a peer reviewed article.
With respect, scientific evidence and peer review are very different things. The Grand Cayman experience just noted surely stands as more-thanb-anecdotal evidence that human activity can't be ruled out. It seems pretty clear that finding a diver who didn't decontaminate, who dove on a particular site on a certain date, and SCTLD then followed, is not a reasonable ask when the stakes are so high. If the spread can be slowed, there is surely hope that it can be mitigated.

It is called the Precautionary Principle. Because there is no consensus on how it is spread, you do what you can to mitigate it.
If there is any suspicion of divers spreading it (I personally believe that is silly/ not the case at all), then the best precaution would be to ban diving until the mechanism of spread is understood or this blight has run it’s course. That would be the absolute best mitigation if folks are truly serious about preventing/slowing spread - are you OK with that?

If there is any suspicion of divers spreading it (I personally believe that is silly/ not the case at all), then the best precaution would be to ban diving until the mechanism of spread is understood or this blight has run it’s course. That would be the absolute best mitigation if folks are truly serious about preventing/slowing spread - are you OK with that?
Using your logic, all cargo and cruise ship movements should be terminated. .

Governments and agencies and national park authorities do what they can do, which is not necessarily the most logical thong. The art of the possible....

My opinion is that Parrot fish and their "buttholes".....combined with a bit of current.....are spreading this disease far more efficiently than divers.

What has been the prognosis for other islands impacted by SCTLD? Does this mean Bonaire will be devastated permanently?

Using your logic, all cargo and cruise ship movements should be terminated. .

Governments and agencies and national park authorities do what they can do, which is not necessarily the most logical thong. The art of the possible....
Diving is a recreational activity - cargo is not (cruise ships are a blight on the planet (imho) so I have no problem banning those!).

I certainly respect STINAPA’s authority/decision as it’s their island but I don’t buy the diver spread theory as a significant contributor. However, if they are concerned, then I don’t want to possibly contribute to the issue just to satisfy my selfish needs -so I will avoid diving Bonaire until the situation there is resolved (hopefully without significant devastation to the reefs).

Diving is a recreational activity - cargo is not (cruise ships are a blight on the planet (imho) so I have no problem banning those!).

I certainly respect STINAPA’s authority/decision as it’s their island but I don’t buy the diver spread theory as a significant contributor. However, if they are concerned, then I don’t want to possibly contribute to the issue just to satisfy my selfish needs -so I will avoid diving Bonaire until the situation there is resolved (hopefully without significant devastation to the reefs).
I agree completely; diving is unlikely to be a significant contributor. But it has not yet been shown to be a non-contributor. The analogy is there is a boat that is leaking; you are not sure where all the leaks are, but you decide to patch the ones you find even if they may not be the biggest leaks, It can't hurt, it might slow the sinking a bit.

I agree completely; diving is unlikely to be a significant contributor. But it has not yet been shown to be a non-contributor. The analogy is there is a boat that is leaking; you are not sure where all the leaks are, but you decide to patch the ones you find even if they may not be the biggest leaks, It can't hurt, it might slow the sinking a bit.
I’ve owned many boats - if leaking I’d haul out asap and not use until root issue is understood and fixed. I apply the same logic to Bonaire - I’ll avoid until they sort it out so as not to potentially contribute to the issue.

Buddy Dive posted this on Facebook:

Dear divers and visitors of Bonaire and Buddy Dive.​
The history of the Caribbean Reefs has showed the world how strong and fragile such ecosystems can be. In our lifetime alone we have witnessed how reefs can decline, in some cases almost disappear but also how their resilience can help them come back!
🪸
In recent years a new coral disease STONY CORAL TISSUE LOSS DISEASE (SCTLD) has been detected and spreading through the Caribbean, from Florida down to all our favorite and popular tourist destinations in the Caribbean, including most recently our DIVERS PARADISE BONAIRE…​
We would like to make a call for your help, and it goes as simple as following the protocols established by our Marine Park. This way we can slow down the spread of the disease.​
If you are staying at our Resort, you are welcome to dive at our house reef (which is still a green zone) but please follow the above-mentioned protocols!​
If you are not staying with us, please don’t use our house reef as we are trying to slow down the possible spread in our zone. Luckily on Bonaire we have many options for you to dive away from the concerning areas.​
Your help is highly appreciated
🙏🏼

My wife and I are restricting our diving to only one site per day and soaking all gear with fresh water, complete drying and sun exposure before diving another site.
So you have chosen NOT to follow the STINAPA disinfection protocols, and to dive in the infected sites, even though asked not to. Why is that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom