Fast Moving Coral Disease Alert on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the perfect response. Instead of complaining or posting that there is no proof and why should we do it. Just go with what STINAPA wants everyone as divers to do or decide to dive elsewhere.
Actually my point was that no one should be diving in Bonaire right now if they are in any way concerned about divers spreadng SCTLD.

Actually my point was that no one should be diving in Bonaire right now if they are in any way concerned about divers spreadng SCTLD.
My regular Bonaire group decided that this year we're going to skip Bonaire due to the SCTLD issue. If STINAPA's measures for reducing the spread prove to be based on good science and effective, then we're happy not to contribute to the spread. If the measures prove not so great, then we're glad we avoided the needless hassles.

We're booked for Roatan this year. A few minutes of research revealed SCTLD has been reported there, too, in recent years. But Roatan's marine park isn't (yet) making too big a deal of it. We can't be sure whether they are underreacting or whether the SCTLD is not as severe and/or widespread as on Bonaire, but we're skipping Bonaire in favor of Roatan this year.

My regular Bonaire group decided that this year we're going to skip Bonaire due to the SCTLD issue. If STINAPA's measures for reducing the spread prove to be based on good science and effective, then we're happy not to contribute to the spread. If the measures prove not so great, then we're glad we avoided the needless hassles.

We're booked for Roatan this year. A few minutes of research revealed SCTLD has been reported there, too, in recent years. But Roatan's marine park isn't (yet) making too big a deal of it. We can't be sure whether they are underreacting or whether the SCTLD is not as severe and/or widespread as on Bonaire, but we're skipping Bonaire in favor of Roatan this year.
Would love to hear your report after your trip.

We are Roatan regulars and I am sad to say that Roatan is not better with regards to SCTLD than Bonaire. In fact, it sounds like Bonaire has less of an issue than Roatan and is being much more proactive. We were in Roatan in 2018 and saw no SCTLD. In 2019, we saw a little. Stayed home in 2020. In 2021, we saw quite a bit more. in 2022, I cried on some of the dives. There is not a healthy pillar coral left in Roatan. I heard that there was one infected one left on the east end that has been treated. Many other species are also involved. I mentioned the pillar corals since they are one of my favorites. They are treating corals, but it is just not possible to keep up. There is talk of building a coral nursery on land and bringing corals in to hold/treat and reintroduce after the disease has burned through, but I am not sure where they are on that.

We are Roatan regulars and I am sad to say that Roatan is not better with regards to SCTLD than Bonaire. In fact, it sounds like Bonaire has less of an issue than Roatan and is being much more proactive. We were in Roatan in 2018 and saw no SCTLD. In 2019, we saw a little. Stayed home in 2020. In 2021, we saw quite a bit more. in 2022, I cried on some of the dives. There is not a healthy pillar coral left in Roatan. I heard that there was one infected one left on the east end that has been treated. Many other species are also involved. I mentioned the pillar corals since they are one of my favorites. They are treating corals, but it is just not possible to keep up. There is talk of building a coral nursery on land and bringing corals in to hold/treat and reintroduce after the disease has burned through, but I am not sure where they are on that.
Thanks. And ... dang! I posted on the Bay Islands forum asking about it, but received no replies from anyone who has actually observed effects of SCTLD there. Well, we're booked for a week in August. <sigh>

So, my perception is that Bonaire is just making more noise about SCTLD than Roatan and perhaps other Caribbean destinations that may be equally affected.

Just what we do not want to happen in Bonaire. One big difference is with the first sighting in Sept 2020 and they did not aggressively attack. I will stand with STINAPA let's do what we can control early. Also looks like STINAPA's Coral Spawning Calendar is the rage with ROATAN to put together their own. If you are going be prepared to disinfect or Roatan will not be a great option for you. Read below 95% of the Island coral showing signs of infection.

Here you go Roatan Marine Park own update.

Our new efforts against SCTLD​

Updated: Nov 24, 2021

Our team continues to fight SCTLD. We have continued with our monthly monitoring in 21 sites around the island. On the South and West of the island, the disease has progressed rapidly and is now in what we call the “epidemic” phase, where we have lost most of the highly susceptible species like the pillar and maze corals.

5660dd_0dcf2b385a3d427480775d022ed896bb~mv2.jpg

The North and the East side are now in the “epidemic” phase, where the lesions are on most of the susceptible species. SCTLD is now present in 95% of the island. Although this is some sad news for the island, we encourage everyone to keep working on saving the reef and to follow all the gear disinfection guidelines. We continue to treat corals with Base 2B and amoxicillin mix; we have successfully tagged 1472 corals and done 1242 reassessments on 63 sites across the island. On some really good news, our research team has now started monitoring coral spawning with the help of citizen science and we are happy to tell you that the few pillar corals that are left are spawning, as well as other stony coral species.

5660dd_6df8a73ffdf7400e9a177c5a8206ccc1~mv2.jpg

5660dd_ceea354fa97d45219f316fc68436d3e4~mv2.jpg

5660dd_0b091ab5f7bf4a16be237a3d0a5c4fe5~mv2.jpg

We are happy that the early response for SCTLD has given these species a fighting chance to reproduce and produce more resilient coral recruits. RMP is working on opening the Coral Restoration Center of Roatan with the objective of upscaling its current coral restoration projects and preserving the biodiversity of the coral reefs in the Bay Islands.

5660dd_90a50bb12cba4c379d3b21d5d1fee0bc~mv2.png

Our research team is working on elaborating a coral spawning calendar for Honduras, this will yield important information for coral restoration and management strategies. In the following months, the team will continue with intervention actions as well as monitoring. Keep an eye out for our social media to see how you can help us fight SCTLD and preserve the marine biodiversity of the Bay Islands National Marine Park.

Attachments

• Divers Guidelines.pdf
    371.4 KB · Views: 45
  • FAQ SCTLD _ Roatan Marine Park _ West End.pdf
    358.9 KB · Views: 62
What evidence is there that these diver disinfection policies are effective in preventing the spread of Stony Coral Disease on adjacent sites of a small coral reef island?

It seems it would be more useful to have the parrot fish and turtles disinfect themselves after each meal on the coral.

As a diver on Bonaire I spend an hour dive never touching the coral. The parrot fish and turtles are eating the coral and pooping the remains all over. They chomp one coral and without disinfecting themselves go chomp on another coral.

Sounds a lot like 2 weeks to stop the spread and shut down all the small businesses but let the large businesses stay open. Look how well that worked out.
If this is bacteria (and if amoxycillin is effective against it, this must be a bacteria) then the pathogen just floats freely in water. Why would it need a diver, a fish or a turtle to move from one dive site to another if currents will do the job? Currents around Bonaire are weak but this does not mean they are nonexistent.

Thanks, @SoccerDad , I saw that update, but it's dated Nov. 24, 2021. I was hoping for more recent information. We ultimately opted for Roatan over Bonaire this year because if disinfection of gear is required, a boat-dive op or resort will have the procedures in place. With the typical drive-and-dive shore-diving routine on Bonaire, where we go wherever we like and don't get back to the fill station (now also disinfection station) that often, disinfection may be more of a hassle and/or we may be more more likely to spread the SCTLD bacteria.

Thanks, @SoccerDad , I saw that update, but it's dated Nov. 24, 2021. I was hoping for more recent information. We ultimately opted for Roatan over Bonaire this year because if disinfection of gear is required, a boat-dive op or resort will have the procedures in place. With the typical drive-and-dive shore-diving routine on Bonaire, where we go wherever we like and don't get back to the fill station (now also disinfection station) that often, disinfection may be more of a hassle and/or we may be more more likely to spread the SCTLD bacteria.
I actually passed a shop far south that had a roadside sign that said "free rinse tanks." Thought that was a cool idea.

Back
Top Bottom