Fast equalizing and negative entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freedivers need to go deep quickly. They do not use Valsalva, their preferred method is called Frenzel equalization:
Frenzel maneuver - Wikipedia
However, the original Frenzel method requires that the mouth is closed: this is not a problem for freedivers, who know very well that it is not safe to keep the snorkel in their mouth during the dive. Of course it can be a problem for a scuba diver.
So a modified version of Frenzel has been developed here in Italy, known as the Marcante-Odaglia method, which is basically the same as Frenzel, but done with the mouth open (and the reg in your mouth).
All that said, for myself instead I use a technique developed in France and called BTV. It has the additional advantages that you do NOT need to close your nose with fingers (it is "hands free"), and that you simultaneously equalize the ears AND the mask.
It is perfect for the type of dive you make at Maldives in channels, where all the divers need to jump in water simultaneously and immediately go down to, say, 30 meters, before the strong current of the channel bring you away from the good spot.
As we are not all "built" the same, you should experiment various equalization techniques and find the one which works better for you.

Lots of good information here already.

As I have gotten in to tech diving on wrecks, negative entries, or “hot drops”, are the norm since in Florida we are always dealing with current from the Gulf Stream. All bodies are not equal, and even ears are not equal for some like me. My left ear ALWAYS clears shortly after my right. I use the valsalva technique, it’s the only one that has worked for me. I do find it very helpful before I splash to equalize my ears at least two or three times to “prime” them for the dive. It does make equalization easier underwater I have found. In my heavy tech gear, after I splash I immediately start to clear my ears. Almost every other second I am clearing my ears and by the time the bubbles clear I am at least 15 or 20 ft down and continue this aggressive fashion of clearing for the first 33ft/10m or so (greatest pressure change) and then can relax some. Maybe every 5 seconds or so thereafter.

Before you think about negative entries, you need to be pretty solid and repeatable on quickly being able to clear your ears. If you are already down 5-10 ft and have not cleared, you may have already caused enough trauma that even ascending slightly or even going to the surface you may not be able to clear.

I had so much trouble with my left ear during open water training that I thought long and hard about finishing my cert. My left ear still causes me some troubles and gets some minor barotrauma from time to time, but I have been able to improve my techniques with clearing rarely have issues anymore.

If you don’t need to do negative entries, don’t, but if you do, make sure you are very confident in your abilities to clear. Your ears will thank you!

Kyle

Lots of good information here already.

As I have gotten in to tech diving on wrecks, negative entries, or “hot drops”, are the norm since in Florida we are always dealing with current from the Gulf Stream. All bodies are not equal, and even ears are not equal for some like me. My left ear ALWAYS clears shortly after my right. I use the valsalva technique, it’s the only one that has worked for me. I do find it very helpful before I splash to equalize my ears at least two or three times to “prime” them for the dive. It does make equalization easier underwater I have found. In my heavy tech gear, after I splash I immediately start to clear my ears. Almost every other second I am clearing my ears and by the time the bubbles clear I am at least 15 or 20 ft down and continue this aggressive fashion of clearing for the first 33ft/10m or so (greatest pressure change) and then can relax some. Maybe every 5 seconds or so thereafter.

Before you think about negative entries, you need to be pretty solid and repeatable on quickly being able to clear your ears. If you are already down 5-10 ft and have not cleared, you may have already caused enough trauma that even ascending slightly or even going to the surface you may not be able to clear.

I had so much trouble with my left ear during open water training that I thought long and hard about finishing my cert. My left ear still causes me some troubles and gets some minor barotrauma from time to time, but I have been able to improve my techniques with clearing rarely have issues anymore.

If you don’t need to do negative entries, don’t, but if you do, make sure you are very confident in your abilities to clear. Your ears will thank you!

Kyle
Have you actually tried techniques other than Valsalva? The other techniques are mostly Valsalva (pressurization) plus other things....so are not likely to be worse than Valsalva alone....

Have you actually tried techniques other than Valsalva? The other techniques are mostly Valsalva (pressurization) plus other things....so are not likely to be worse than Valsalva alone....

Yes, Toynbee also works, I just prefer the the pinch and blow. Could never do a Frenzel or wiggle my jaw around like some can to clear. My tubes are stubborn

Yes, Toynbee also works, I just prefer the the pinch and blow. Could never do a Frenzel or wiggle my jaw around like some can to clear. My tubes are stubborn
Yeah, the jaw doesn't work for me, and sometimes I can do Frenzel but not very often.

Like many have said, equalize using your preferred method or methods and start equalizing several times before even starting the dive and then constantly equalize until you get to depth. If you dive enough like you have been your body should adapt and equalizing should get easier. I personally use a combination of the valsalva and wiggling and extending my jaw. If you do get a block stop descending immediately, ear barotrauma is not fun!

Beat the Squeeze: Equalize Like a Pro.

So they say this may happen that may happen, blah blah blah blah blah!
I've never cleared before the dive, sometimes if I'm busy with things and descending quickly the pain hits and then hits some more and then I equalise by pinching my nose and blowing Generally if I'm diving around I don't equalise until I feel some pain and that alerts me to equalise. I can't really remember any particular details of how or what or when It's just what I do. My ears are perfect and the lobes aren't attached to my neck

If I may discuss another aspect of a negative entry that I consider vitally important. Making sure that you air is turned on.

Besides you and your buddy checking each other's tank valve, there is one more last-second safety check:

Just before you jump into the water, take 3 quick breaths off your regulator while you are looking at your SPG. The needle should flicker but not move much. That's one more verification that your air is indeed turned on.

When your air is turned ON, the SPG needle will jump to 3,000 p.s.i. If someone turns the valve OFF, then the SPG will still read 3,000 p.s.i. even if the valve is turned off, since the system is still presurized. But if you start taking breaths from your pressurized regulator with the valve OFF, then the SPG needle will drop to zero pressure very quickly. If you see that happen, then you know that you and your buddy forgot to turn on your valve.

This check is not fool proof. If the valve is only cracked open (not all the way ON), then this check might seem normal at the surface. But down deeper it may become difficult to breathe with a cracked valve.

Negative entries are very risky. Don't screw it up.

I think I got a minor barotrauma yesterday. The plan was to descend to 20 meters like parachutists under water (I love it). I started to equalize from the surface but the right ear failed and the pain hit me hard. I stopped but did not ascend and forcefully did Valsava (another mistake). But after about a minute it was ok and I did the dive. A few hours later, I realized that I had a weird feeling in my right ear. Like something is stuck in it. I still have the feeling but it is slowing disappearing. I don’t think (hope?) it is major and I have two dives tomorrow .

I think I got a minor barotrauma yesterday. The plan was to descend to 20 meters like parachutists under water (I love it). I started to equalize from the surface but the right ear failed and the pain hit me hard. I stopped but did not ascend and forcefully did Valsava (another mistake). But after about a minute it was ok and I did the dive. A few hours later, I realized that I had a weird feeling in my right ear. Like something is stuck in it. I still have the feeling but it is slowing disappearing. I don’t think (hope?) it is major and I have two dives tomorrow .
Don't do the dives tomorrow. The risk isn't worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom