Farallon shark dart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't the shark behavior that has changed; it's our perceptions of sharks that have changed.

How many shows from the 60s and 70s made it look like the only way to be safe around any sharks was to kill them or drive them away?

Thalassamania's bull shark was really, statistically speaking, the exception. While bulls are one of the more common sharks involved in attacks on humans, the number of attacks each year versus the number of people in the water is extremely low. Really; based on the statistics, we should be far more afraid of dogs than we are of sharks, but can you imagine the reactions we'd get if we decided to carry a CO2 dart for defense against stray dogs?

Don't get me wrong; if someone is going to be diving in an area frequented by species of shark known to be aggressive, I would not blame them at all for carrying something like that for defense. Based on discussions I've read here on Scubaboard, though, some folks are going to advocate much "kinder, gentler" methods of dealing with pushy sharks.

I hope, if they ever face one like Thal faced, that they return to tell us how well it worked.

I agree completely, that's why when around sharks I carry a billy and a couple of "Dietzman Death Squares." That way no one gets hurt. If I'd know about the Death Squares back then I might have been able to avoid the whole thing.

BTW: Feral dogs are a major problem where I live, you don't go on walks in the areas where a there are not a lot of houses without a stout walking stick.

Death squares? :huh:

Sorry but that sounds like it belongs in Harry Potter or something lol :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Click the link Letterboy, this was way before Harry Potter.

Click the link Letterboy, this was way before Harry Potter.
Interesting... I was thinking like foldout shield or something :)

Btw-did u add that link AFTER I posted? I didn't see it b efore...

Posted via Mobile Device

It all has to do with warping the space time continuum back upon itself. More Dr Who than Harry Potter!

After an honours student was taken by a great white in 2005 down here, the university I work at requires us to use a Shark Shield for all OW work.

Anecdotally, they do make sharks scatter from chum when they get switched on, but having seen great whites ambushing seals from below, my guess is that if one has mistaken you for a seal and is coming in at warp speed from underneath you, your ticket's punched, shark shield, farallon dart, chainmail or not.

Shark shield - there's some controversy.

Shark Dart - you need to be able to deploy and use it.

Chainmail - best bet, you'll get a bad bruise.

Found a brochure that has escaped being thrown out. These were never sold here, Farallon Industries brochure mailed as an info sheet. Ralph Shamlian, whom I have met at an Oceans Congress in Melbourne, ran Farallon Industries, and after that Tekna.
Farallon Darts 3R.jpg

Back
Top Bottom