Fantasea housing trouble - buyer beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
This is not true, and has not been true for a LONG time.

If you want evidence other than results from lenses like the Nikon 80~200mm F2.8 from decades of use by professionals just take a look at the MTF ratings on Photodo.

www.photodo.com

Several zooms like the Nikon 80~200f2.8 outperform many fixed focal length lenses in the Nikon lineup. It rates 4.1, but anything really above 3.5 is outstanding. The nikon 20mm f2.8 for example rates out at 3.5.

"More elements - more flare and distortion

Ffl lenses normally have quite fewer elements and, due to this, have much less flare and are easier to correct for distortion. Zoom lenses, on the other hand, have more than a dozen elements and, of course, are much more prone to flare and ghosting. Also, distortion is more difficult to correct as zoom lens designs require a shifting position for the diaphragm. In fact, these two problems, which might be insignificant in certain types of photography, present bigger problems in zoom lenses than even sharpness - in expensive designs a high degree of sharpness is achievable but flare and distortion are more difficult to control. For example, even the pro-level AF Zoom-Nikkor ED 80-200mm f/2.8D exhibits very strong pincushion distortion at 200mm."

And this Photographer uses zoom lenses

RonFrank:
Here's a shocker, but no surprise! Nikons BEST lens (or at least the best lens tested) is also their LEAST expensive. That's right, the Nikon 50mm 1.8D at 4.4. A couple lenses perform along side that lens, but they are mostly AI-S lenses like the 85mm f1.4.

No kidding, that is why I have a 50mm 1.8! You missed the point entirely, the question was are zooms sharper than primes.

Primes are sharper because they use less amount of glass to make up lens... the 50mm 1.8 has 6 elements, the 80-200mm zoom has 16 elements the human eye uses one element.

My point is in U/W photography where one is limited to close up marco or close focus wide angle shots, you may as well bring down the best lens that can do the job. And how are you going to change the dome to a flat port or vice versa U/W? In order to take advantage of the zoom lense's range?

My Olympus lenses would be an 8mm fisheye with a dome port and the 50 or 35mm in a flat port.

http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-zooms.html

f3nikon:
You missed the point entirely, the question was are zooms sharper than primes.

The answer is YES, they CAN be, and in a lot of cases are. If you choose to ignore the facts there is little I can do further.

Don't confuse elements with groups. If you need an explanation of the difference I can provide one.

Regardless of the design, one can NOT ignore the MTF data facts. Unfortunately that is exactly what appears to be occurring. One can not choose to embrace the science of lens technology, and then ignore the science of measuring the end result.

Every lens is unique, and putting out a general statement that primes are better than zooms is no longer true regardless of how many old timers insist it must be so because 30 years ago it was true. Times and technology have changed, you can embrace the technology, and learn to judge it based on the tools provided, or you can just repeat the same tired information that has been replaced by new design, and newer technology.

Ironically I don't know any die in the wool film shooters that would subscribe to something like a 14~34 OLY zoom? That 4.5X, wow, unacceptable based on the arguments you are making.

Whatever floats your boat man! Use a zoom lens on everything, you still did not answer how you are going to change lense ports U/W!

And what's this "confuse" with "groups"? The amount of groups does not effect the total amount of elements! The the amount of glass the image has to go through is still the same and the more glass the more the image quality will degrade! That is a fact!

The lens could have 16 elements in 11 groups this just mean that some of the glass are paired together, but they are still there!

Then we have:
"putting out a general statement that primes are better than zooms is no longer true"

Lol!!!! This is an U/W forum not an amateur weekend wedding photography class! I just stated my opinion on what I will be using for U/W use!

Just a quick update, the chargeback has made it to Paypal. The interesting thing is that Paypal has a dispute system in place that I used to report "not as described" for my difficulty. The final result from Paypal was:

Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund.

Now after working through my credit card company I get this email from Paypal:

We recently received notice from your credit card company that you filed a
chargeback stating that the merchandise you received had one of the
following problems:

- It was damaged or defective
- It was not as described, or
- Services were not rendered

Please review the details of the disputed transaction below and the steps
for what to do next.

...If you wish to continue with this chargeback, no further actions are
required by you at this time.

Paypal asks why you are disputing the charge in the first place, they supply the categories including "not as described" and then deny the ability to help. When the credit card company gets involved they say - You have a problem because it was not as described. How strange :rofl3: .

SeaYoda:
Paypal asks why you are disputing the charge in the first place, they supply the categories including "not as described" and then deny the ability to help. When the credit card company gets involved they say - You have a problem because it was not as described. How strange :rofl3: .

After using Paypal without problems for years, I had my first issue.

I will not go into details here, but the bottom line is their dispute process is by in large worthless. I basically ate $30 on a transaction that was *PayPal guaranteed*.

PayPal guarantee is more likely to mean frustration, and if anything goes wrong (In my case the merchandise was either ripped out, or removed from an envelope) than use a REAL credit card where you actually have protection.

That was pretty much my conclusion too Ron.

You have to be careful with keeping balances in your paypal account too ... don't! I think they can seize funds in your account at any time for any reason and there's nothing you can do about it. beware...

New update ...

The credit card company put back the full amount of both orders I made onto my card. A letter states that a challenge can be made to the chargeback but my bill says this is final. I was told the merchant had 30 days to respond (when I first opened the chargeback). Stay tuned for further updates on life with buyer protection .....

very educational...thanks.

I have contested charges with Am X several times and they have always come through. 1)mystery fees on airline tickets 2)rental car damage by valet 3) hotel date dispute On all three they put the money back and I never heard another word, after filling out the form they sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom