Fantasea/Epoque/Ikelite 46mm wide angle lens differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Nemrod - well I got the setup and used it and it's awesome. It just barely crops out the vignetting while in 16:9 mode. So it works great for 720p video. I'm pretty impressed with the video performance as a whole, even while in dark areas. It does compress it via h.264 but the data rate is over 20 mbps (thats at 720p30 video; ATSC broadcast caps at 19 mbps for 720p60 and usually compresses far beyond that for multiplexing secondary channels - I think my local PBS channel is often in the 12 mbps range, and they have the highest quality HD broadcast I've seen).

For 4:3 stills, I do have to zoom in to get rid of the vignetting however. I put a sample video up at Canon SD960 + Ikelite Housing + Inon UWL-100 Underwater Test on Vimeo that shows the vignetting in video and stills, above and below the water. I'm thinking about trying out a UWL-165 lense for kicks now, but if it vignettes in video mode, I wouldn't be a happy camper. It's a pain to zoom it just enough to get rid of vignetting, especially in the housing, the zoom responds so fast, and it's a hassle every time you turn the camera back on. If I were using it primarily for 4:3 stills that would really bug me.

I squeezed over 25 minutes of HD video and a bunch of stills out of a single battery charge, thats probably the weak link with this setup. For great lakes wreck diving, that will work fine for me though, beyond 25 minutes I'm getting pretty chilly anyways.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom