family travel to cozumel, help?!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcmpw

Reaction score
This will be our first trip to cozumel. Me, wife and children, ages 7, 6, 4, are staying at the Reef Club for seven nights. I'm wondering where are the best shore dives. I would like to take my kids snorkeling close to some wrecks (i.e. airplane), are there any mentionable shallow wrecks? We have plenty of time so if any of you have any "must do" for the family, please let me know. Any advice-help would be much appreciated!

Here are 2 locations I would recommend.. relatively mild current when I was there, and plenty to see. These are based on 1 trip in April for 11 days with my family, including a 15, 13, and 7 year old.

Dzul Ha - Nice snorkeling.. this is a popular stop with snorkel tours.. no need to pay for the tours, however, unless you wish for lessons

Chankanaab - 10 buck entrance fee per person, and can be crowded at times, but our family enjoyed it.. tremendous number of fish, some very interesting artifacts underwater to look at.. can snorkel over divers (shallow water, app 20' deep about 50 yards from shore). We sat through a Park Royal timeshare tour for free tickets.. we got free breakfast, and tickets for 5, for an hour of our time.. worth it.

As for wrecks... I am not familiar with any first hand, though I have heard there is a plane (not very well preserved at this point) off of the beach across from the Park Royal hotel (not sure of beach name)...

We stayed at Cantamar condo's, north of the city, and frankly, the snorkeling there was terrific.. fewer crowds, much to see (2 eagle rays on our first day, none after). I am not where the best public access to the water would be around Cantamar, but the snorkeling, and lack of crowds was great. The water is about 12 to 15 ft deep, and the wall along the shore contained a tremendous amount of life.

Have fun.. we had a blast diving, snorkeling, and relaxing.. so much so I am taking my now 16 year old son for 10 more days of diving in August..

Paul:)

I think I should add one caveat, for safety, in case you head north of San Miguel for snorkeling...

...the current away from the shore can supposedly be quite strong, and we were continually reminded to stay within 25 to 50 yards of the coastline for safety.

Paul

Originally posted by mcmpw
This will be our first trip to cozumel. Me, wife and children, ages 7, 6, 4, are staying at the Reef Club for seven nights. I'm wondering where are the best shore dives. I would like to take my kids snorkeling close to some wrecks (i.e. airplane), are there any mentionable shallow wrecks? We have plenty of time so if any of you have any "must do" for the family, please let me know. Any advice-help would be much appreciated!

Galaspie has suggested two of the more popular beach clubs. The plane wreck he referred to is in front of ElCid/LaCeiba hotel. To the best of my knowledge LaCeiba doesn't charge anything to snorkel and swim there. It's one of my favorite Coz shore dives and we frequently see snorkelers there.

The C-53 shipwreck is just offshore Chukanaab Park but it may be too deep and too far out for small kids. You may want to check it out, though.

Have a great time!

Mcmpw:
Please forgive me for not getting back to you, from the PM you sent. I have been overly busy. Everyone gave you great info. If you have more questions or need anymore help please feel free to call me. 708-957-8616 Which is my business line at Coast to Coast Travel.

Back
Top Bottom