"Family of drowned Tennessee diver sues dive shop"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The instructor was insured by an agency that is actually owned by SDI,

Do you have any proof of that statement? I don't believe it is accurate

That was my memory of the content of the thread.

That was my memory of the content of the thread.
It's not correct, same as some people that say PADI owns V&B

Willis is a massive insurance company which insures PADI instructors everywhere except the USA. Willis Canada got out of the USA insurance business specifically because of the Utah lawsuit, see, it seems that Lincolnshire Management is insured by Willis USA. Willis was given the choice. Get out of the dive insurance business or drop Lincolnshire Management as a client. Lincolnshire Management pays a lot more to Willis than all of the dive business in North America. The choice was clear. Willis Canada was the chosen underwriter for SDI, and now Owl Underwriting performs the same function.

So the way I see it is the complaint is pretty weak and there's also some credibility issues.

Would take a news article with a grain of salt. In fact, I'd give it little to no credibility at all from a legal perspective.

Fact is, a diver was lost a drowned. Standard protocol calls for an instructor in the front and an DM in the back. That didn't happen so the rest is superfluous.

Since beginner divers drowning has unfortunately happened numerous times in the past, the result of this case will mostly likely follow past precedents.

Would take a news article with a grain of salt. In fact, I'd give it little to no credibility at all from a legal perspective.

Fact is, a diver was lost a drowned. Standard protocol calls for an instructor in the front and an DM in the back. That didn't happen so the rest is superfluous.

Since beginner divers drowning has unfortunately happened numerous times in the past, the result of this case will mostly likely follow past precedents.
I agree.

The PADI video I show DSD participants (we do them in a pool here) shows the instructor/AI essentially holding onto two participants. And that is in ideal conditions. I can't see how anyone could have more than that and maintain constant control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom