Family Dive Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In the interest of saving space, we decided to carry a single dive book with sections for each family member to log their dives in their section.
But if we are all doing the same dive, I am considering pairing it further, and writing up a page that condenses the repetitive info, while leaving more space for individual items, like gas usage, Max depth etc.
Has any other family (2 or more divers ) already created a page like this, before I go creating one myself? Thanx!

Although you didn't ask, I'll mention something I said in the similar thread of "Paper vs. Electronic". The idea of just bringing paper. Each person takes enough sheets to log each dive done on the trip. Then everyone has their own records for the future. Can't take up much space. I usually don't bring my whole book, just some refill sheets. Of course that changes if you actually have to show some dive op a log for proof of dive experience (which hasn't happened with me in 12 years--but you can ask ahead of time). I don't know how each person could do this with electronic dive logs, but assume it's possible and probably takes up even less room than paper.

I am thinking of bringing the fresh pages out of dive log binder, in a ziplock bag, since the binder is awkward to carry. But if I design a family version, that is less pages to carry. As it stands, my husband and daughter refuse to fill out their dive logs. I have to fill it out three times when we dive together! If I keep track of their gear needs/preferences in one place, it would make it easier for me to organize future dive trips. Obviously I am the most enthusiastic about planning SCUBA Vacations!

Same here when I travel, I have a log book that has unused sheets in it and leave my main log book at home. I cant risk losing it, its totally irreplaceable. Just take plenty of spare sheets if its gong to be used by more than 1 person.

I also log all my dives using my PADI app and Scuba earth so if I am ever asked (which I havent) I do have an electronic dive log that I can show. You could just log the dives electronically and complete the paper version later but I do prefer to get the LDS or resort stamp on my dive logs to add a touch of authenticity.

Personally I would not want to share a dive log I would prefer to keep my own unique log, but each to their own, I am slightly obsessive logging dives and I know a lot of people that don't even bother so there is a lot of scope to do pretty much want suits you best.

Personally I would not want to share a dive log I would prefer to keep my own unique log, but each to their own, I am slightly obsessive logging dives and I know a lot of people that don't even bother so there is a lot of scope to do pretty much want suits you best.
So true for me too, but since I am grateful I have two cooperative dive buddies, (we actually dive as a three), I accept the trade off. This way I can pre-order their kit for them, while in the past we always struggle to remember what size/weights/exposure they needed, due to their lack of record keeping.

I would not combine logs. If no one ever needs a log, which is quite possible, it doesn't even matter if they have one. But if at some point someone does need a log, you won't want to deal with a co-mingled thing. It will get messier when people don't always do exactly the same dives, which is bound to happen sooner or later. And eventually daughter will grow up and maybe go diving without you, making things even messier... or not, in which case it again doesn't matter.

But while I think logs should be separate, I don't think you need to write everything 3 times! If you want yours to be detailed, make it detailed. If they don't want to be bothered and you feel you need to do something, do the minimum for them. Their logs can be a page about gear (which doesn't need to be spelled out for every single dive) and maybe a page or 2 for each trip where you simply list date&site, maybe time&depth. I wouldn't bother with gas usage, it's more work for you and unlikely you or they will miss it. Or even do a single page for a trip with the useful general info like gear stuff, then a list of dives, Make something simple - maybe if it's simple, they'll even consider filling it in themselves. Big logs with complicated pages full of all sorts of stuff, that's just not going to be some peoples thing.

I was gunna suggest a general info. page too. Each person have a list of weightings for exposure suit + tank type. This only changes with weight (growth....) and new equipment. Not too much to ask each person to carry their own list of that stuff. My list for that only changed once in 12 years--when I replaced my old wetsuit.

My son and I each keep a paper log which has gear listing and I created an Excel spreadsheet for each of us as well. Trying to keep it simple.

Go electronic and you have your logs available on the phones you are already carrrying. With the right computer (I have a Perdix AI), you can bluetooth the dive log to your phone after each dive and add whatever notes/comment you desire on the spot. When you get home, you can then synchronize the mobile app with the desktop for backup. I use Dive Log on my iPhone and Diving Log 6.0 on my desktop - the combo works great:

Dive Log

Diving Log 6.0 - scuba logbook software for diver - dive log, scuba log

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom