Failed Checkout Dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the actual product was "Sudafed 12 Hour". I spoke to the pharmacist and explained what happened he said this is what I want: SUDAFED® 12 HOUR - SUDAFED® . . . I took it an hour before the dive, and as we got to the site BOOM I was knocked out.
Thanks for the clarification - definitely the pseudoephedrine product (good), with no antihistamine (also good). Interesting experience - not unheard of - that some people have an atypical reaction to what would otherwise appear to be a stimulant - but unusual. Well, now you know.

Glad to hear that you will be able to finish up this week.

Not the same instructor but the owner of the shop the instructor taught under, so I'll be set!

Good job! You found an entire shop, from the owner on down, that does not follow training standards. You must feel very confident in the quality of your training!

Good job! You found an entire shop, from the owner on down, that does not follow training standards. You must feel very confident in the quality of your training!

Im sorry for my ignorance, but what training standards are they not following? I contacted PADI and explained the situation and the woman I spoke with said what I was doing was absolutely fine.

Refer to post # 32

Thank you! Well The only exercise we had to do was mask full flood and clear, but that is less then a minute in length, so I wrote the negligible time off in my original post. Sorry for that omission! Apart from that, we literally had nothing else to do. So if that isn't what you were referring to then I'm not sure.

BLABD -- There should be skills required in these dives but they are skills you most likely have already done. If this is the local PSL shop did you go to the bridge to dive and do skills because this is considered "Open Water" there. I have not sat in a class or assisted a instructor in many years so I am not current with the material. If this is the shop I would not be concerned about your training they are within "the standard" of shops.

As far as being aghast at "the standard" not being followed pfft.. I stopped jaw dropping about a Decade ago when "they" started the quickie weekend classes and lowered the skill requirements.

Your brand new OW card is the learner's permit of diving. I was certified in 1981 and dove all up and down the east coast. I took my DM class in around 2004 and I breezed through it. I did not find out I still had alot to learn until about 2009 when I went with two tech divers for a NDL dive on the Speigel. The difference in skill level left me "catching up" as they just loped along. Diving is a ever learning sport... you never stop learning and improving.

Creep up on your skill level it is not a race it is a journey.

BLABD -- There should be skills required in these dives but they are skills you most likely have already done. If this is the local PSL shop did you go to the bridge to dive and do skills because this is considered "Open Water" there. I have not sat in a class or assisted a instructor in many years so I am not current with the material. If this is the shop I would not be concerned about your training they are within "the standard" of shops.

As far as being aghast at "the standard" not being followed pfft.. I stopped jaw dropping about a Decade ago when "they" started the quickie weekend classes and lowered the skill requirements.

Your brand new OW card is the learner's permit of diving. I was certified in 1981 and dove all up and down the east coast. I took my DM class in around 2004 and I breezed through it. I did not find out I still had alot to learn until about 2009 when I went with two tech divers for a NDL dive on the Speigel. The difference in skill level left me "catching up" as they just loped along. Diving is a ever learning sport... you never stop learning and improving.

Creep up on your skill level it is not a race it is a journey.

Yea Eric you're thinking of the right shop. I'm very confident with my training. And yea we dove the bridge and did a lot of exercises there. They have an outstanding reputation and have a very clear and obvious love of diving. The owner is really bending over backwards for me. To be perfectly honest with you; I'm surprised how much he is helping me. But in a sport of such high costs; he's got a customer for life... so I can't say he isn't benefiting from it :wink:

A young strong man came into a Karate Master's Dojo and says I want to learn karate how long will it take me to become a black belt? The master says about six years. The young man retorts, SIX years!?! That is much too long I will work twice as hard and take two classes a day .. How long will it then take me to become a black belt? The master says ohh well in that case it will take you about ten years. TEN YEARS!?! Oh no Master this will not do.. I will become Sempai and move into the DoJo. I will attend every class and work harder than anyone ever has... how long then will it take for me to become a Black Belt? The Master strokes his beard and replies... You will never be a Black Belt..

---------- Post Merged at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:46 AM ----------

BLABD -- Of the available shops in the quadcounty area I'd say that is the best as far as basic instruction goes. We will have to do some shore dives together at Pepper Park nice dives if the conditions are right.. 16' and plenty too see with occasional surprise visits by the large predators

BuiltLikeABulldog,

Yea that sounds like a bad day but consider it a good dive. Nobody gort hurt, all of the gear came back and you learned something. As mentioned decongestants are discouraged and whatever posesed you to try this for the first time in a boat/dive scenario is worth revisting.

Here's the upshot.... Your mention of home suggests you're not a geezer yet so you have a whole lifetime of diving aheid of you and this slight extension of your lifetime pre-certification is a drop in the bucket. You undoubtedly are anxious to get to diving independently but in the grand scheme of things this is a trivial delay. Get booked to wrap this up and go from there.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom