Factors affecting beginner air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there! I'm a brand new diver (just completed my 6th dive) and have a question about air consumption rates. I check all the boxes that I've learned can increase this:
  1. Inexperience = nervousness = high breathing rate
  2. Haven't mastered buoyancy yet (I'm getting better with each dive, but aware that I'm still sculling with my arms too much and adjusting BCD inflation more than I'd like)
  3. I'm a big guy (in reasonable shape, but 6' 2'' and 215 lb)
  4. Cold water (Puget Sound = 49 degrees)
So I'm not stressing about how fast I currently use air, but boy I really am churning through it :) On our most recent dive to 40 feet, I started with 3000 psi in an AL80, and was down to 2100 after just 10 minutes. Following the rule of thirds, that limits me to ~20 minutes total dive time. Which is fine for now and in these waters (I wouldn't want to stay down much longer anyway because of the cold) but as I start dreaming of future trips to dive in warmer climes, I realize I'm going to want to improve this. For instance I can imagine such a short limit being pretty annoying for others I might want to go on a dive tour with!

Is the best thing just to dive more locally, gain confidence, and work on my buoyancy? Or would more classes help? (at the moment I feel like I know what I should do and just need more practice to be able to do it consistently, but I can imagine finding the Advanced Open Water course useful at some point further down the road).

How much should I expect cold water (plus all the associated gear) to be a factor here? e.g. if I went on a trip to Cozumel tomorrow, without changing my current ability or experience, would the difference from Puget Sound waters be likely to affect air usage in any significant way?
You will continue to improve a s you dive, but mastering your bouyancy is critical to reducing air consumption. As you noted ad well...keep from using hands as much as possible.

Back
Top Bottom