Face reconstruction and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwelch_81

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My friend was in a wreck a while back. His face was crushed from his nose to the top of his head. He had plates and plastic put in there to reconstruct his face now he wants to go diving.

Would there be anything for him to worry about?

Right off, he should be able to equalize his ears and sinuses. Balance and orientability should be normal. He should be able to protect his airway; esp. he should be able to mouth-breathe hands-free in the event of a mask-off incident. (I don't know if using full-face mask gear cancels this consideration.) Facial contours, strength, sensation may become important to his choice of gear.

An MVA resulting in facial reconstruction involves forces and scenarios where many other worrisome injuries -- perhaps subtle/confusing and latent for many years -- may have been sustained; even more so if defects of conciousness was a feature. Someone able to review his record is in a better position to make an assessment.

cutlass gives some ideas, however your friend should contact a physician with specific knowledge about facial reconstruction and diving to get a qualified assesment

My friend was in a wreck a while back. His face was crushed from his nose to the top of his head. He had plates and plastic put in there to reconstruct his face now he wants to go diving.

Would there be anything for him to worry about?
Yes.

I'd make calls to DAN and his doctor.

Thanks, I knew he might have a problem with his airways. I just didn't want him spending money if there was known problems besides the airways problem. That would quite easy to test and a way around it im sure. He did suffer from a bad head injury. I do fear he might have some dormant brain problem that would cause him to sezure if he was exposed to certain atmosphere or something like that. Besides that mostly wanted to know if people with rods screws steal plates and things like that felt pain from those while diving.

Hi jwelch_81,

The rods, plates, screws, wires, pins and other internal fixation devices used in orthopedic reconstruction most often are made of a special stainless steel alloy, although occasionally they may be made from titanium or non-metallic biomaterials.

Those with metallic devices sometimes do complain of localized discomfort in cold environments, especially when the devices are set close to the surface of the body, as they often would be in the facial area.

If your friend plans on diving largely in warm tropical waters, this probably would not be a major problem.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom