Faber HP 100 HDG for $363 w/free shipping... TGTBT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious as to why a brand new tank would even require a VIP sticker? Seems like any tank should not need it's first VIP sticker until it's a year older than it's "born on" stamped hydro date.
Seems strange to me too. BTW, the “born on” date is 02/23.

Seems strange to me too. BTW, the “born on” date is 02/23.
I think the "rule" is that any tank that has been emptied needs to be VIP'ed before being used again. I suppose because a piece of packing foam or something might have made its way into the empty cylinder. It seems like a pretty remote risk.

While I really want to support my LDS, I was checking out the "galvanized" tank and it sure looks like the painted one sitting next to it. Maybe its galvanized underneath the paint?

Attachments

• tanks.jpg
    tanks.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 59
I think the "rule" is that any tank that has been emptied needs to be VIP'ed before being used again. I suppose because a piece of packing foam or something might have made its way into the empty cylinder. It seems like a pretty remote risk.
I empty my 13 or 19cf pony bottle every time I travel and never get a new VIP. If a shop doesn't like to see an empty tank then just trans-fill a few hundred PSI and take it in. My point is that if the "born on hydro date" of a brand new tank is within a year, I can't see why it would even need a VIP sticker .

While I really want to support my LDS, I was checking out the "galvanized" tank and it sure looks like the painted one sitting next to it. Maybe its galvanized underneath the paint?
I read on here that Faber paints over "cold galvanized", so I guess they have the same finished just labeled differently

I read on here that Faber paints over "cold galvanized", so I guess they have the same finished just labeled differently
Not really. Hot Dip Galvanization is a complete process and is not painted over. Cold galvanization is a different process that is not nearly as protective.

While I really want to support my LDS, I was checking out the "galvanized" tank and it sure looks like the painted one sitting next to it. Maybe it’s galvanized underneath the paint?
I believe the one on the left is incorrectly labeled. Faber HDG tanks do NOT look like that!

This is what Faber HDG tanks should look like.

IMG_6483.jpeg

I believe the one on the left is incorrectly labeled. Faber HDG tanks do NOT look like that!

This is what Faber HDG tanks should look like.

View attachment 798600
agreed. I have 4 HDG tanks (PST & Worthingtons). The ones at the dive shop are definitely painted, just one said "galvanized" while the other didn't. Then I read somewhere that Faber painted tanks are paint over cold galvanizing, so I figured that's why they labeled them as galvanized. They are galvanized, just not hot-dip galvanized.

At any rate, I'm left wondering if I should spend an extra $50 or so per tank for HDG or buy the ones from scuba.com and face LDS consternation, lol

agreed. I have 4 HDG tanks (PST & Worthingtons). The ones at the dive shop are definitely painted, just one said "galvanized" while the other didn't. Then I read somewhere that Faber painted tanks are paint over cold galvanizing, so I figured that's why they labeled them as galvanized. They are galvanized, just not hot-dip galvanized.

At any rate, I'm left wondering if I should spend an extra $50 or so per tank for HDG or buy the ones from scuba.com and face LDS consternation, lol

LDS consternation? I bought 2 Faber HDG back in May and then took them to one of the dive shops I use for a VIP. No issues whatsoever. Shops in FL deal with tanks bought from all over the place. Lots of them!! I've never run into a FL shop giving me grief for not buying a tank from them. I'm paying them for a service ... the VIP and a fill. They perform the service and are glad for the business and hope I return. That is my experience. In other less-busy areas (like Indiana where I moved from), yes, shops could get moody if you wanted tank service done on tanks you'd bought online. I've never run into that in FL. Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I have zero interest in a steel tank that is not HDG. The HDG finish is that much better.

Just curious as to why a brand new tank would even require a VIP sticker? Seems like any tank should not need it's first VIP sticker until it's a year older than it's "born on" stamped hydro date.

That's how it was done back when I first started dealing with VIPs. For the first year after the stamped hydro date no sticker was needed, because a DOT visual is done at each hydro. I don't remember the date when the practice was changed, but I remember being annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom