Faber 100 High Pressure rookie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm new to diving and purchased my first tank today so that I don't have to rent anymore. Although, I'm not positive I was given the right tank.

It looks like Faber has 2 different version of 100 high pressure steel tanks. One is FX series and one is HP 100. Is this correct? How would I be able to differentiate between the two with the markings on the side?

Thank you.

FX series is HP 100

They are both "high pressure" meaning above 3000 psi.
If it is galvanized it is the FX. If it is painted it could be either. The way to tell is look at service pressure. FX series is rated to 3442psi. The HP series. Is rated to 3180psi.

The HP series is significantly heavier than the FX. Most HP series I have seen are white in color. Most FX series are painted silver or galvanized.

Hope that helps.

The HP series is significantly heavier than the FX. Most HP series I have seen are white in color. Most FX series are painted silver or galvanized.

Hope that helps.
There are a lot of white FX (3442) cylinders. I have 2 133's with born dates of 2009 and 2 80's with born dates of 2015. I have noticed that a lot of retailers are selling silver now. Not sure if this means they have switched from white to silver.

Hello,

I'm new to diving and purchased my first tank today so that I don't have to rent anymore. Although, I'm not positive I was given the right tank.

It looks like Faber has 2 different version of 100 high pressure steel tanks. One is FX series and one is HP 100. Is this correct? How would I be able to differentiate between the two with the markings on the side?

Thank you.

The "FX" series Faber cylinders of any size are stamped DOT-SP13488 or DOT-E13488. Other manufacturers of similar cylinders have different numbers in place of the 13488 -- Worthington is 14157, and PST is 9791. These three cylinder types are essentially the same with only minor differences in weight and buoyancy. Some but not all of the PST cylinders have the narrower neck fitting and require special valves.

Earlier HP cylinders from any manufacturer are stamped DOT-3AA3180 (3500 PSI fill pressure) or DOT-3AA3000 (3300 PSI fill pressure). These cylinders are quite negatively buoyant and are (IMO) only suitable for dives in a drysuit or 7mm.

The PST and Worthington cylinders were all galvanized. Up until a year or two ago the Faber ones were all painted, but most newer ones are galvanized.

Most HP series I have seen are white in color. Most FX series are painted silver or galvanized.
That's just plain wrong. Fabers are supposed to be yellow.

The "FX" series Faber cylinders of any size are stamped DOT-SP13488 or DOT-E13488. Other manufacturers of similar cylinders have different numbers in place of the 13488 -- Worthington is 14157, and PST is 9791. These three cylinder types are essentially the same with only minor differences in weight and buoyancy. Some but not all of the PST cylinders have the narrower neck fitting and require special valves.

Earlier HP cylinders from any manufacturer are stamped DOT-3AA3180 (3500 PSI fill pressure) or DOT-3AA3000 (3300 PSI fill pressure). These cylinders are quite negatively buoyant and are (IMO) only suitable for dives in a drysuit or 7mm.

The PST and Worthington cylinders were all galvanized. Up until a year or two ago the Faber ones were all painted, but most newer ones are galvanized.

Thank you. This was helpful. Mine is stamped DOT-SP13488.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom