F200EXR best settings???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swissrob

Registered
Reaction score
hi all,

I bought this camera last week and had a little play around with it but there are so many settings its getting confusing - i have no idea amout photography so just stick everything on auto and hope for the best.

I am diving for 5 days next week and have the chance of trying it out for the first time and need all the help I can get - can someone who has used this camera try and suggest some basic settings that I could use ???

Or shall I just leave it on underwater auto with EXR selected??

Hi Jack,

I have the complete set up you used in your review. Only one Remora strobe though.

Have started to play with the Strobe on land, just to fire some test shots etc and seem to be getting really inconsistent flash results.
Sometimes is does flash and light the picture, sometimes is flashes and doesn't light the picture and sometimes it doesn't flash at all???
Quite frsutrating really, I've also done the Sync test that is advised, yet it doesn't flash on any of the settings. So not too sure it's even sync'd properly?

Going back to the manual settings, Could you please correct me for anything settings I'm not doing quite right?

Macro - without lens
F3, 1/1000th iso 100/200

Close up wide angle -
Similar to above?

Distance shots - reefs etc
f9, 1/60, 100/200

Also, I noticed you have answered some of the above in your blog, but my question is....were those settings used using the strobe too?

thanks for any help in advanced.

Are you using a sync cord? It sounds like you are not and that strobe in particular really has to have one as it's sensor points downwards.

I think you have it backwards; Macro f9 - 1/1000 iso 100/200 and I added some EXR to the 200 setting.

CF/WA f9 but drop the shutter speed quite a bit to catch some background.

Distance f3 maybe more like 1/80 ISO 200-400.

Jack

Are you using a sync cord? It sounds like you are not and that strobe in particular really has to have one as it's sensor points downwards.

I think you have it backwards; Macro f9 - 1/1000 iso 100/200 and I added some EXR to the 200 setting.

CF/WA f9 but drop the shutter speed quite a bit to catch some background.

Distance f3 maybe more like 1/80 ISO 200-400.

Jack

Hi Jack,

thanks for the response. Yes, I'm using the fibre optic sync cable, which does seem to ensure the strobe flashes, but it's very inconsistent as described. I had the f100fd and it flashed far more consistently, but changing to the 200exr seems to have caused the issue.

Yes, it appears I might have the apperature the wrong way round. I seem to have read that if taking more scenic shots its better to have a smaller apperture ( f9 ) and for close up stuff more like a wider apperature ( f3 ) to ensure I let more light in as I'm closer to the subject? A little confused now..

For close up wide angle using the lens port, you say drop the shutter down quite a bit to get back ground - what do you reccomend, something like 1/125th or faster?

I've been so used to simply clicking away with the fd100, the jump to the 200exr with a little more manual control is a little alien at this stage.:idk: however, is soemthing that I want to stick at to ensure better photography longer term.

How do you have the sync cord attached? I found that it was best to remove the diffuser and place the velcro right over the camera flash. Then I didn't have any problems.

I think you've got the right idea. there's no exact rules, just take photos. Remember closer in you are using your strobe to light.

Jack

How do you have the sync cord attached? I found that it was best to remove the diffuser and place the velcro right over the camera flash. Then I didn't have any problems.

I think you've got the right idea. there's no exact rules, just take photos. Remember closer in you are using your strobe to light.

Jack

Hi Jack,

seem to have fixed the random flasing, I was testing it in EXR Auto mode, have now been testing in maual mode which seems to be fine now. Not quite sure why the Auto EXR mode would give such inconsistent results, maybe the contast focusing etc might have something to do with it?

Been using the manual settings you sugested which seem spot on. Just need to get it into open water now for a thorough test.

Back
Top Bottom