F/U from previous thread -- I took my friend diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did I learn?

I learned that weight checks at the surface aren't a very good indication of whether somebody is adequately weighted or not. I sort of already knew that, but it got pounded in. My friend checked out as being somewhat negative (floating with entire face in water on a breath hold with deflated BCD) but we ended up adding SEVEN pounds before we could get her down and stable.

I learned that it is very difficult to move somebody around in the water -- for example, trying to turn my friend over so she wasn't lying on her back.

I learned that it is challenging to dive while taking completely responsibility for depth/nav/air and holding someone's hand, and that if you are going to dive holding someone's hand, you need your left hand free.

I learned that helping somebody else is a wonderful opportunity to practice one's own descents and ascents, repeatedly :)

I learned that my instructors and mentors have been people of incredible patience and generosity (but I already knew that!)

BTW, the "borrowed gear" was my husband's, so it was in excellent condition and well-maintained.

TSandM:
What did I learn?

I learned that weight checks at the surface aren't a very good indication of whether somebody is adequately weighted or not. I sort of already knew that, but it got pounded in. My friend checked out as being somewhat negative (floating with entire face in water on a breath hold with deflated BCD) but we ended up adding SEVEN pounds before we could get her down and stable.
]
If you did it at the onset of the dive then adding 7 pound sounds just about right.
TSandM:
I learned that it is very difficult to move somebody around in the water -- for example, trying to turn my friend over so she wasn't lying on her back.
Gives you a whole new appreciaton for the astonauts! At least you won't drift into the forever.
TSandM:
I learned that it is challenging to dive while taking completely responsibility for depth/nav/air and holding someone's hand, and that if you are going to dive holding someone's hand, you need your left hand free.
At least you weren't towing a dive flag and handling a dive light in the dark at the same time. Make sure she understands task loading. Just adding one little thing like that does challenge your skills.
TSandM:
I learned that helping somebody else is a wonderful opportunity to practice one's own descents and ascents, repeatedly :)
Yup
TSandM:
I learned that my instructors and mentors have been people of incredible patience and generosity (but I already knew that!)
And now you're paying some of it back, good for you!
TSandM:
BTW, the "borrowed gear" was my husband's, so it was in excellent condition and well-maintained.
Is he a frequent diver?

Pete

Is he a frequent diver?

Not as obsessively frequently as I am, but more on the once-every-ten-days-or-so level. That's why I could borrow his drysuit and gear for my friend!

Back
Top Bottom