F- Stop question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, I am still perfecting my manual photography skills (still a long ways to go).

Background info: I am usuing a nikon p5100 (manual controlls, P&S) and inon z240 strobe. The highest my f-stop goes is 7.6.

Is there anytime where I would not use the highest f-stop possible?

Macro - is there any reason not to set the f stop to the highest at 7.6? I obviously can product many times more light than is needed with the strobe.

Wide angle or "regular lense". I guess the only time I could see when I would not set the f-stop to the highest is if I am doing a close focus wide angle shot where I would want to set my strobe to the strongest possible to light up some depth and I would use a lower f-stop so I do not over expose the closer items of the shot.

Is my thinking even close to correct?

Macro: use highest f stop you have.This will insure that you have the greatest depth of field so that chances are that subject will be in focus.As little off as 1/2 '' to inch or less can mean an image out of focus..Use the strobe to bring color to subject,if you have ttl do not worry about overexposure as strobe will adjust output to correct power required.For that camera I would use a f stop of 7.6 and shutter speed of 200 iso 200 ..or use iso 100 shutter speed 125/160..want a dark/black background use a higher shutter speed such as 400-500 if camera will sync to strobe .So remember to use high f # for macro(smallest aperture)..Shoot image ,Examine and Adjust(SEA) by changing power setting on strobe,or hold it further away from subject.

Wide angle/CFWA; take a light meter reading of available light and shoot using the recommended f stop for the shutter speed you are using,usually between 125-200.. Again use strobe to bring out color of close subject,subject being no more than 2 ' away or closer.Do not worry about "light up depth" as you wrote.Strobe will not do it.Strobe ,no matter how powerfull is usually ineffective on anything more than 5' or 6' away.For CFWA you use stobe to bring out color near subject and expose for available light for background.
If you have ttl strobe will squelch its power down for proper exposure.Usually find that f stop is f5.6 or f8 for this aplication, in clear sunlit carib waters, with an iso of 100-200 shutter speed of 125-200. Remember to use lower f# (wider aperture) for wide angle. Shoot your image,examine it,and if it is overexposed adjust by either cut back on strobe power or hold it further away from subject,especially if not using ttl..

I have a p5100 camera in a ikelite housing,which allows for true nikon ttl via a sync cable thru housing to camera. P5100 works fine,but lately I usually use one of my olympus 5050 cameras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom