F-2 Sizing Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah it's strange. Based on this thread, I was expecting them to be massive on her but they weren't. I will say that there WAS a gap on the side of the boots at the back of the fin, but it didn't seem to cause any issues. I stood and tried to get the fin to move sideways while it was on her foot, but it was locked solid. Her boot was well and truly wedged in there. I guess we'll see what happens underwater although I am not expecting any issues.

Cheers, I'd be interested to hear how she gets on after diving them.

OK so finally got to try some on. Both the wife and I were sizing while wearing 5mm boots. That way we can use the same size fins no matter what we are diving - dry, wet, warm or cold water.

Anyway, the wife fit perfectly into a Small with the booties. She wears size 6 wetsuit boots.
I fit into an XLarge with one side of the fin strap moved to the tighter position. I wear size 9 boots.

No idea what the Medium is for.

I assume the sizes you're mentioning are not "U.S." but rather "U.K." or Australian or something? Here in the US, a Ladies Size 6 is a very small foot. On land, my wife wears a Ladies 10 (a big foot for a woman), and I wear a Man's 9.5 shoe (a medium to small foot for a guy). Our wetsuit booties don't have numbered sizes printed on them, just Small, Medium, Large, etc.--I wear a Medium wetsuit bootie (whether 2, 5, 7 mm or whatever). And until now it seemed logical that a Medium or Regular fin would fit me. I can't imagine my foot fitting into something that fits a Ladies 6 foot.

You said in another post that there a gap between your wife's foot and the foot pocket at the heel. The spring doesn't even touch my heel. I have not yet tried moving the spring to the inner adjustment post. It looks like if I did that, it might just touch my heel.

I assume the sizes you're mentioning are not "U.S." but rather "U.K." or Australian or something? Here in the US, a Ladies Size 6 is a very small foot. On land, my wife wears a Ladies 10 (a big foot for a woman), and I wear a Man's 9.5 shoe (a medium to small foot for a guy). Our wetsuit booties don't have numbered sizes printed on them, just Small, Medium, Large, etc.--I wear a Medium wetsuit bootie (whether 2, 5, 7 mm or whatever). And until now it seemed logical that a Medium or Regular fin would fit me. I can't imagine my foot fitting into something that fits a Ladies 6 foot.

You said in another post that there a gap between your wife's foot and the foot pocket at the heel. The spring doesn't even touch my heel. I have not yet tried moving the spring to the inner adjustment post. It looks like if I did that, it might just touch my heel.

I've quoted all US sizes. I'm a US 9, the wife is US ladies 6. Ladies size 6 / UK 37 is quite a normal size here. It makes buying wetsuit boots / fins a bit challenging at times as everything US made seems to be for ladies with much larger feet.
boot1.jpgboot2.jpg

I've quoted all US sizes. I'm a US 9, the wife is US ladies 6. Ladies size 6 / UK 37 is quite a normal size here. It makes buying wetsuit boots / fins a bit challenging at times as everything US made seems to be for ladies with much larger feet.
View attachment 154658View attachment 154659

Now I'm REALLY unsure what to do. Maybe my Regular F2s fit me but I just don't know it? Could it be that I have always worn fins that were too small?

Your wife's feet are petite, but with 5 mm wetsuit booties she feels that the Small F2 fits her okay, while you are a US 9 (about the same size as me) and feel the Xtra Large F2 fits you with 5 mm wetsuit booties and the strap moved to the inner post?

I was just about to pack up the Regulars and send them back to exchange for Small. Maybe I should at least try moving the springs to the inner post and see how that feels. I'll give it a go. Maybe I have just always had the wrong idea about how snugly fins should fit.

I'd be very surprised in the Regulars were too large for you with a 5mm boot on. I actually tried on the small, and while I could get them on, they were way too tight. And tight = foot cramp, particularly (for me) when doing frog and back kicks. I've been on a dive with some slightly too tight fins and will never do that again. IMHO Fins should be tight enough that they don't move on your foot and no tighter. BTW the shop guy agreed with our size selections too.

Last edited:
Now I'm REALLY unsure what to do. Maybe my Regular F2s fit me but I just don't know it? Could it be that I have always worn fins that were too small?

Your wife's feet are petite, but with 5 mm wetsuit booties she feels that the Small F2 fits her okay, while you are a US 9 (about the same size as me) and feel the Xtra Large F2 fits you with 5 mm wetsuit booties and the strap moved to the inner post?

I was just about to pack up the Regulars and send them back to exchange for Small. Maybe I should at least try moving the springs to the inner post and see how that feels. I'll give it a go. Maybe I have just always had the wrong idea about how snugly fins should fit.

Yes, definitely adjust the springs first. At size 9 I'd have thought regulars would have been ok?

Okay, I adjusted the springs to the inner post. Adjusted that way, the spring does make contact with my heel when I wear the 5 mm booties, but it doesn't exert much spring force--it's just sort of limp--and there is still that gap on either side of my heel that allows my heel to rotate in the foot pocket a bit. I think it is sufficient, though. Now, when I tried it with the 3 mm booties, the spring hardly touched the back of my heel. Both pairs of booties seem to have a softer, thinner sole than what is shown in OzGriffo's photo--mine are really lightweight booties for boat diving, not rigid-soled boots.

I compared the size of the foot pocket of the F2s with the size of the foot pocket of the fins I have been using for years. The old fins are labeled US Size 10-13, and the foot pocket is much narrower (and more rounded on the sides and top, like a person's foot) than the foot pocket of the F2s, which as you know is wide and boxy or rectangular.

Anyway, per the advice in the other thread I posted about fin fit in general, I plan to try diving with them. If they don't fit, and the store won't take them back, I can try to sell them. This is really the only way to proceed with any certainty.

You all are not alone! i ordered these in small due to my size 8 foot..Now I have no clue why these have such an odd feeling, but they are fins that allow only for the frog style, but with discomfort. At least I have tried two dives on these using all kinds of ways to kick. This fin feels like its going to fall off using a normal stride kick. The spring isn't tight enough...even adjusted closer to the foot pocket using a frog and modified everything kick from helicopter to side swipe strides. So weird. I've used Jet fins and knock off jet fin brands to full foot fins during my dives and never felt this fin before...I would compare it to the scubapro seawing nova, but that fin you can have a normal scissor stride with...f2 cannot.

on the pros side it seems it constructs well enough to handle instructor abuse and the time where rinsing salt is no option it could hold up well...just not the hardware which is included...this is cheap metal and replacements should be used from local hardware store...and they are slightly positively buoyant!

Yes, I too have had trouble getting them to fit.

@Lorenzoid: Posted this in another thread, just incase you didn't catch it.

Im a size 24.5 and at a size 9 you're a 27.5 Japan sizing. I swapped out the original Hollis 29cm spring (tightest setting), to a 24cm spring. using the 24" spring adjusted one setting looser this gave a length of 26.5cm spring compared to the original 29cm spring so difference is 2.5cm. They are still a little loose. All that being the case small might be ok as it looks like you are 3cm larger than me. I wear 5mm aqualung boots. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

You all are not alone! i ordered these in small due to my size 8 foot..Now I have no clue why these have such an odd feeling, but they are fins that allow only for the frog style, but with discomfort. At least I have tried two dives on these using all kinds of ways to kick. This fin feels like its going to fall off using a normal stride kick. The spring isn't tight enough...even adjusted closer to the foot pocket using a frog and modified everything kick from helicopter to side swipe strides. So weird. I've used Jet fins and knock off jet fin brands to full foot fins during my dives and never felt this fin before...I would compare it to the scubapro seawing nova, but that fin you can have a normal scissor stride with...f2 cannot.

on the pros side it seems it constructs well enough to handle instructor abuse and the time where rinsing salt is no option it could hold up well...just not the hardware which is included...this is cheap metal and replacements should be used from local hardware store...and they are slightly positively buoyant!

Try swapping to a 25cm spring and use one tight setting this will in effect make the spring 27.5cm as compared to the original 29cm, 1.5cm tighter might just be enough.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 10:55 PM ----------

Hollis really need to offer several different sizes of springs the same as Apollo for example as their one size clearly does not fit all.

Here are my thoughts on the sizing.

I am using ScubaPro Delta 5mm size M(supposed to be US8 equivalent), F2 Small pockets fits it just nice, however the spring strap does not feels snug, so shift the spring on one side to the inner screw.

Compare to ScubaPro, Small feels like XL on Jetfins, and Medium on Seawing Nova.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom