F-2 Sizing Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To follow up on this, I finally test-dived my new F-2 fins, size Regular according to the retailer (or size "Medium-Large" as molded into the sole by the manufacturer). I wear a US Size (Men's) 9.5 shoe.

First, there is no way these fins would fit securely if I were to wear the thin tropical booties (2 mm neoprene, thin sole, almost sock-like) that I often wear with my previous fins. The F-2s are clearly designed for thicker booties or drysuit boots. So I used my 5 mm booties with my 3 mm wetsuit. These booties are somewhat sturdier and have a rubber-reinforced heel along with a sturdy rubber sole/tread.

With the springs retained on the outer posts (that is, the heel straps at their maximum size), I nearly lost a fin to the depths on the first dive. It came right off when I kicked. So I set the springs to the inner posts (that is, heel straps at the minimum size). Actually, the nice crew on the boat did it for me right then and there, so I wouldn't be in danger of losing a fin again. On this setting, and with the 5 mm booties, the fins seemed to be held securely. I think the rubber reinforcements on the heels of the booties helped by adding thickness and providing a better grip for the rubber heel straps of the springs.

In summary, with the springs set to the inner posts, and with 5 mm or thicker booties, the F-2s in size Regular should work for me.

How did I like them? I liked that they are shorter than my previous fins. So they will be great for travel (which is pretty much the only way I dive). They were a breeze to don and doff and shuffle on the deck in. As for propulsion, I didn't notice a great difference. You can only get so much force out of a short fin no matter what.

To follow up on this, I finally test-dived my new F-2 fins, size Regular according to the retailer (or size "Medium-Large" as molded into the sole by the manufacturer). I wear a US Size (Men's) 9.5 shoe.

First, there is no way these fins would fit securely if I were to wear the thin tropical booties (2 mm neoprene, thin sole, almost sock-like) that I often wear with my previous fins. The F-2s are clearly designed for thicker booties or drysuit boots. So I used my 5 mm booties with my 3 mm wetsuit. These booties are somewhat sturdier and have a rubber-reinforced heel along with a sturdy rubber sole/tread.

With the springs retained on the outer posts (that is, the heel straps at their maximum size), I nearly lost a fin to the depths on the first dive. It came right off when I kicked. So I set the springs to the inner posts (that is, heel straps at the minimum size). Actually, the nice crew on the boat did it for me right then and there, so I wouldn't be in danger of losing a fin again. On this setting, and with the 5 mm booties, the fins seemed to be held securely. I think the rubber reinforcements on the heels of the booties helped by adding thickness and providing a better grip for the rubber heel straps of the springs.

In summary, with the springs set to the inner posts, and with 5 mm or thicker booties, the F-2s in size Regular should work for me.

How did I like them? I liked that they are shorter than my previous fins. So they will be great for travel (which is pretty much the only way I dive). They were a breeze to don and doff and shuffle on the deck in. As for propulsion, I didn't notice a great difference. You can only get so much force out of a short fin no matter what.

Cool, glad you got it sorted. I use one inner post and one outer post with a swapped from the 29cm spring to a, thank you Nick, 24cm spring. I think the sizing is a little wonky. Yes, for travel I really like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom