EZ Spring Fin Straps- likely to hurt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amw5g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I swapped the original straps on my Mares Quattros today for some EZ recreational spring straps. Recommended measurement for my size was small and while I had to wrestle them on a bit more than I'm used to, they didn't cut off circulation. Taking them off was no more difficult than the original straps.
I don't know if it was the increased current (I'm a wimp) or the straps but sweet baby Buddha my ankles were killing me after 15 minutes. It wasn't rubbing, it was just like an extreme aching of the muscles/tendons in that area. Had to find a spot to hold on to and let my legs rest for a few mins. And at the end of the 75 minute dive, I had to stand in the shallows until I felt able to walk again. 7 hours later, it all feels generally back to normal. Two variables changed here- current & straps- but anyone have a similar experience once moving to the spring straps? I don't want to go through that experience again...
Cheers,
Amw5G

Nope, I found I had to wrestle much less and was more comfortable diving with them.

I think it was more that you were swimming in the currant and how much strain was being aplied to your ankles do to swiming agianst it . I love my spring straps

Spring straps are the way to go. Everyone in our shop and all our customers SWEAR by them!

Sounds like the straps are a bit too tight, if you can trade up a size give that a try.

Bob
-----------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Oy, suspected it might be fit. Having dived with them and tossing the packaging (they fit A OK in the living room) that may be tough. Any chance they might ease up on me a bit, perhaps if I hang them with a few pounds of soft weights?

I am not sure how you would not already have know they were too small on your first try in the living room?

I like my foot a specific "snugness" as far as the strap pushing my foot into the fin; if it's too loose my foot wiggles around in the foot pocket and if it's too tight my toes are cramped. :idk:

If one were to "generalize" the spring strap animal, "distiribution maps" show a near direct relationship with thicker booties and the use of gloves, also probably thick; ie cold water.

There are exceptions to every rule and most of the scuba diving exceptions are ScubaBoard members.:D

I hate spring straps because the only pair I ever tried hurt my feet. I also have over 2,000 dives in 3 pair of Mares fins and I never had any issues with the stock Mares fin strap. I think it is the best fin strap I have ever used. I would try to mount my old Mares Straps on the highly unlikely other brand of open heel fins I ever end up with. :idk:

A wide strap spreads out the snugging force of the strap; the spring strap (or bungee) is a concentrated line of force. The wide strap might also spread out the the ankle articulation force of the blade against the water.

Did the stock straps not work for you?

Reactions: Jax
I swapped the original straps on my Mares Quattros today for some EZ recreational spring straps. Recommended measurement for my size was small and while I had to wrestle them on a bit more than I'm used to, they didn't cut off circulation. Taking them off was no more difficult than the original straps.
I don't know if it was the increased current (I'm a wimp) or the straps but sweet baby Buddha my ankles were killing me after 15 minutes. It wasn't rubbing, it was just like an extreme aching of the muscles/tendons in that area. Had to find a spot to hold on to and let my legs rest for a few mins. And at the end of the 75 minute dive, I had to stand in the shallows until I felt able to walk again. 7 hours later, it all feels generally back to normal. Two variables changed here- current & straps- but anyone have a similar experience once moving to the spring straps? I don't want to go through that experience again...
Cheers,
Amw5G

I'm gonna say they are too small and that you should try the next size up. Your fins should not be harder to put on with spring straps, they should be easier. It is one of the advantages of having spring straps in the first place.
Also I suspect your sore ankles are a result of the straps too small, not the current.

Jason

Yes, I think it must be the size. As I thought more about it, had it been solely the current, then my noodle legs would have been sore in a great deal more places than just localized to my ankles.

Halemano, you make a good point about the concentration of the force in a narrow and linear direction. I am neither the thick material type, nor the glove type. The stock straps do work very well, however the front of my foot would tend to move around a bit from side to side during a frog kick. Not much, just a little. It was unnerving because as the side of the boot in the toe box would knock against the side of the fin, I always felt like I was kicking something (i.e. someone such as my wife). I had though that if the spring straps worked, it was a less costly alternative to new boots or new fins (that latter out of the question). They had also been given very glowing reviews by many divers, including the missus. Figured it was worth a shot.

Perhaps I need to move up to a medium if I want to continue pursuing an alternative. And perhaps I am one of those for whom the spring strap bell does not toll.
Thanks all for the thoughts, experiences, and for forcing me to visualize a platykurtotic distribution first thing in the morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom