Extreme Drift Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kadrian

Reaction score
When we started this Charter business I said I would always try to take my Divers to the best dive spots. My favorite is Dodd Narrows so we try to take as many groups there as possible. Everyone really enjoys this dive, lots of life due to the tidal stream and the rush of drifting in the current we do this dive on both sides of slack and try for a return trip thru the Narrows. I have been getting feedback from lots of divers that want to do this dive at higher current speeds for a bigger push.
As I can’t maneuver the big boat safely in currents much more than 2.5 knots we are restricted to diving at slack.

Extreme Dodds Narrows

We have a local Nanaimo boat builder Jidco Weldinng that builds some no fooling aluminum boats we picked up a Tuffer 180. This is an 18’ welded aluminum open cockpit boat that surpasses Transport Canada specs for a lifeboat this boat is virtually unsinkable. Sounds right for whirlpools and big back eddys.

Well we did it today and it was the best kick *** awesome great dive day I have ever had it was an absolute hoot. Shawn Sweeney who lives in the Marina next door and hasn't dove in a year and a half and myself decided we had to do it. We towed the Jidco boat and got the boat builder John to run it we anchored the big boat on this side of the narrows right close 100 feet from the flow. And geared up on it and then climbed into the small boat. Shawn had a new reg he had never used and forgot the drysuit whip. I thought we would have to go back but he said he would try it we dumped in at the big back eddy on the south side at 3 knots. It was surprisingly calm in there and I had to pull him down the start of the dive you almost had to kick to move and then it started to pull a little it was moving along not to fast you could still look at things and almost stop for the first ten minutes. Then we got into the narrow part and I lost Shawn right away and shot off like a rocket. When I hit the back eddy at the bottom it was like throwing out a parachute I stopped and went upstream. I popped out right in the back eddy and got picked up We went back to the big boat and waited until it hit 5.6 knots and got Shawn a drysuit whip as his voice was getting a little high. Then we did it again. The big back eddy was still calm and again the first ten minutes was nothing then it was like getting a shot in the *** and I was out of there I bounced off one rock pretty good but was able to maintain buoyancy ok until after I got through the narrow part and then I got a lift that I couldn't control right to about 20 ft and then I kind of hung out there for a while and worked my way to the surface and I was about one third of the way into the channel and Shawn popped up right beside me. He has been diving for thirty years and said that it was his best dive ever and he would be spoiled for anything else.

This probably isn’t for everyone but for those of you that like a little adrenaline and want to see some fast water give me a call.

Ken Adrian
www.divingbccanada.com
1-866-716-8867

When I started diving I lived near a hydro electric dam and would usually dive in the tail race. The depth was only about 30 feet but when all 7 tunnels were open the current would be running 5 to 6 knots. In fast water the viz is normally much better and it is a real kick as you literally fly over the bottom. It does require some specialized techniques to maintain control and to fly over the larger rocks.

With a hydro electric damn you also have to watch the backwash if you start the drift too close to the powerplant or you can find yourself running right up to the powerplant itself and the only way to get out is to slide into the discharging water which can be a little violent. On the other hand, you can also use the backwash to ride back up stream for another run down stream and do an entire 1 hour dive within walking distance of your car if you are sans boat.

We never considered it extreme diving though and it was pretty common to do the last couple check out dives in the tail race once the student's basic skills were successfully demonstrated in the calm water above the dam.

I dive the upper and lower Niagara River on a fairly regular basis.. Depth is around 30ft in the upper river and can be as much as 80-90ft in thelower river.. Current can go from mild to wild.. Under the Peace Bridge its possible to get 8 knots.. What a ride... I prefer it just slightly slower at 3-4 knots.. This was actually my first dive after getting my open water cert :)
The only trick is to stay down low to avoid the pleasure boats and jet ski's.. rocks and bolders are OK.. you can see them coming.. the occasional old shopping cart is more of a nuiscance.. you can't see them as well :) What a ride.. I'd love to try a drift dive in salt water..

Back
Top Bottom