Extra Charge for Scuba Luggage!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simple, you exceed the 20kg limit you pay for any excess. PAL has a regional sports plus privilege for $50-60, I think which would give you an additional 20kg check-in baggage allowance. It is good for one year, renewable.

Rik, that's news to me. I've flown many time on PAL from HK with my TUSA bag (but it doesn't say SCUBA all over it) and never been charged or asked if it was scuba gear. In fact there were a number of times where I was at 25kg (but I should note they seem to have gotten more strict lately...) That being said, they did nail me for some golf clubs I was bringing on a biz trip once... :D

chip104:
hehehe, yeah, hard to be discreet when the "scuba" might be a dead give away. :)
easy! he says... i borrowed the rollon bag from my friend "tusa scuba"... he's finnish

Jag

The sports plus is a good option. Coming from Japan to PI, we were only allowed one checked bag each at 20 kg. Impossible for me to fit my gear and 2 weeks worth of stuff into that small amount.

The sports plus allows you to have an extra bag of 20kg for scuba, golf and another sport or two I forget. It's a good deal compared to overweight fees. And it lasts a year...

I use a hard suitcase when I travel with scuba gear as long as it is in the weight limit Nothing says I am scuba diver on my luggage . I usually travel with Continental and NWA with no problem.

jagfish:
The sports plus is a good option. Coming from Japan to PI, we were only allowed one checked bag each at 20 kg. Impossible for me to fit my gear and 2 weeks worth of stuff into that small amount.

The sports plus allows you to have an extra bag of 20kg for scuba, golf and another sport or two I forget. It's a good deal compared to overweight fees. And it lasts a year...

Jim don't laugh but the other sports listed are .... drumroll please....

bowling...

badminton...???:confused:

OK, I figure a couple of personalized bowling balls are heavy but badminton? How many birdies would you need to hit 20kg???

Maybe this will work for you. Cancel plans to fly Philippine Air, and fly Air Philippines instead. I use them now most of the time. They have much better customer service than Philippine Air, and have always let us take our international luggage allowance as well for no extra charge. Or, try Cebu Pacific, also very good. Of course, if you already bought your tickets I guess you're stuck. However, I think you may be misunderstanding the Philippine Air policy. Sometimes their wording is misleading, and it might not be a problem at all. Just a thought, since I had the same idea about the other airline, but when I checked in I asked about it and they said it was fine.

Have a great trip! Philippines is one of my favorite places!

Ted

paperdesk:
Maybe this will work for you. Cancel plans to fly Philippine Air, and fly Air Philippines instead. I use them now most of the time. They have much better customer service than Philippine Air, and have always let us take our international luggage allowance as well for no extra charge. Or, try Cebu Pacific, also very good. Of course, if you already bought your tickets I guess you're stuck. However, I think you may be misunderstanding the Philippine Air policy. Sometimes their wording is misleading, and it might not be a problem at all. Just a thought, since I had the same idea about the other airline, but when I checked in I asked about it and they said it was fine.

Have a great trip! Philippines is one of my favorite places!

Ted
sounds like a good loophole in the system... philippine airlines (PAL) has bought into (i think) or now operates Air Philippines... but retaining most of the AirPhil systems...

cool

Jag

Just returned. I thought I misunderstood also, but got this reply from PAL customer service:
"Carrying scuba equiment will be an automatic excess baggage rate regardless whether the equipment exceeds the normal free baggage allowance..."
Of course I said nothing, came in .03 kg under the allowance, and wasn't charged extra. Luckily, the clerks didn't notice or didn't care about the large, fin shaped protrubence at the front of the bag or the Scuba System branding (it's not THAT big). I'll get the Sports whatever package for my December trip just so that I can have more than one change of clothes (it wasn't that bad, but almost) but it was not a problem. I WAS quite shocked, however. Not to worry. EVERYONE else in the Philippines did their best to get my Pesos as well (with varying degrees of success).

Glad to hear you made it through ok! We fly Northwest from the US to Manila, then Air Philippines or Cebu Pacific from there to other islands. NWA still allows 2, 70lb bags per person between the US and Philippines! Strange because almost everywhere else it's dropped to 50lb. Also Air Phillipines adn Cebu Pacific have always honored the international allowance if we show them our international tickets. Not sure what regulations would be in Japan.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom