Express Tech vs Express Tech Deluxe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_scuba_steve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What are the differences between the Express Tech and the Express Tech Deluxe? On the Zeagle site it just says "The Deluxe version of the Express Tech includes several accessories that were commonly requested by divers" and doesn't seem to list out what these accessories are. The only obvious difference is the harness. What are the other differences?

its a modular system so you can get whatever you want with it...the base deluxe comes with a break-away harness and "articulated shoulder assembly" (an inline d-ring) as opposed to a single piece of webbing and also a chest strap. The other optional accessories are shoulder pads and a back pad as well as weight pockets (either zip pockets or the ripcord pockets).

I started off with an Express Tech Deluxe with the pad kit, then peeled off what I found I didn't need after experimenting with it on a few dives.

First thing to go was the shoulder strap pads. A fair amount of bulk that just seemed unnecessary since the vast majority of my dives are boat dives. If I did more shore dives, I'd probably have left them on. Next was the chest strap for the same reason. Just didn't seem necessary.

The back pad's a definite keeper. It's lightweight with no extra bulk, dries quickly and adds comfort.

I go back and forth on the crotch strap. It's off right now, but I may put it back on in the near future. Jury's still out on that one.

I originally bought it with the bigger weight pockets, the Rip Cord system. The advantage is the greater weight capacity and less tendency to cause roll over as the pockets hang further down on the waist when you're horizontal in the water. The disadvantage is they're bigger than what I need. So I switched to the smaller weight system, the Zip Touch. But just as Captn Gene predicted, with the Zip Touch I found I had a tendency to roll over since the weight was now further back on my waist. So I bought a couple of XS Scuba weight pockets, slid them over the waistband webbing and shifted some of the weight there. Works very well.

I really like the breakaway harness as opposed to a single piece of webbing because it's easier to get on and off. Or maybe it's just that I like buckles, lol. I haven't noticed any effects of the articulated shoulder strap assembly one way or the other.

The cool thing about this BC is that you can modify it to what works best for your type of diving. I'm hanging on to all the "extras," i.e. the pads, straps and weight systems, as I may need them in the future especially if I go shore diving in cooler water.

Back
Top Bottom