Exposure Suit for Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dry might be over kill for March. I'd guess defo. for April. (haven't had mine out this winter, just been moaning and wearing a 5mm)
Currently Temps seem to be on the rise early this year. :)

On the down side, warmer waters means more and earlier Sea Thimble Larvea. These'll give you Mosquito like rash/sting/itch but considerably worse. I'd defo. go with full suit and consider Gloves and Hood (for the weight/space I'd pack'em even if you dont wear'em). They're only normally around for a couple of weeks a year but can be VERY uncomfortable to get a hit from and bloody annoying if it's your two weeks.

Hopefully by April they'll have been through and it'll be shorts and T! (except, perhaps at night.)

Also, you might consider you're dive preferences. Deeper is colder. I got 77F boat scrubbing in the canals on Sunday past and 73F at about 85' (Port Nelson and Ray of Hope) the Saturday.
(wrist mount so not actually accurate. Same wrist, computer and set up tho...so "comparative"?)

I don't really see where dry is overkill as the amount of thermal protection inside can be reduced to a comfortable level and the suit can be opened and even expose the entire upper half of the body during SI.

It all comes down to personal opinion and comfort level.

With water temp at 72 degrees, at the end of the day I watched the other divers in wetsuits shiver after getting out of the water and during the ride back to the dock. It was a sunny day in the 70's.

Heat loss is cumulative and diving in water temps in the 70's for many days can bring on mild hypothermia.

You will be diving to have fun, don't spoil it with discomfort.

I will be diving in Mexican caves in March.

I tried it with a 3 mil wet suit last year, after one day I was shivering, I finished my other dives with my dry suit.

This year I will be diving dry again.

I'm sorry. Hadn't meant any criticism.
Dive Nekkid or in a newt suit and I wont judge you. :)
Just meant more to carry, a slightly more complex system and unavailability of parts locally. (In the unfortunate event that they're needed and on "NP" anyway)
Statistically, on a Cove's boat, given the infrequency of folk diving dry, you'll invoke much interest. But nothing even approaching ridicule of any choice of dive style as long as it's safe. Quite the contrary, given the spread of "visiting" skill, you'll mark yourself in the first visual instance as someone who knows what their doing.

As you say, Horses for courses....

My wife and I are going Feb 26 and diving 5 mill semi dry. I plane on doing 4 to 5 dives a day on aqua-cat. 5 mill is recommend . I dive 70 deg. water here in Mi. all the time and after 45 min. 3 mill isn't enough.

Just dived early January, thermocline was between 68-70F. I had blue lips doing only 2 dives a day diving with a 5mm. Everyone said this season seems colder...

Warm water. I always use a shorty, my wife uses a full suit 3mm.
A buddy just uses swim trunks and a rash guard.

I have done Aquacat last two years with my son last week of March/1st week of April. Water temps iin the Exumas ranged from ~72-76 degrees F. I'm pretty much always on the warm side (both on the surface and below), relatively fit (not too much extra "internal insulation") but with 5 dives/day I ended up wearing my hooded vest under a 3mm full suit (typical have only worn a shorty in anything 80 degrees+), even though I'd prefer not to other than the warmth factor. My son who is on the lean side wore a 5MM bibbed hood with a 5mm full suit, and he was often chilled be the end of dives. I am a huge fan of the Aquacat, but after my 1st trip in '09 concluded their guidance on what to wear runs on the light side. I bought the hooded vest the very last second before our 1st trip as insurance after another diver warned me about how cold you can get with this much diving; I was just getting used to the idea of wearing a full suit after years of diving in just a 3/2 shorty, even doing up to 3 dives a day on 10+ day trips (though mid 80's water). Most on the boat each of the last 2 years were in 3mm minimum, a lot of 5's, and some hoods. 4-5 dives a day defintely drags your core temp down...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom