Exposure Suit Debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm very tall 6'7''/6'8'' and need a new exposure suit. Any suggestions for wetsuits/ dry suits for tall people. if it comes to getting one made do i just get a custom dry suit instead of buying a wet suit now and a dry suit in a few years.
I haven't dived in cold waters for a few years, i'm just retuning from lovely tropical diving and want to get diving more here.

Check into Whites Fusion drysuit. The 4xl will fit your height. Don't know about the rest of your measurements.

Depends on the diving you do. If your local diving is cold-water (and I imagine Ireland has COLD water) and you plan on making dives locally, then I would recommend a drysuit. Bad news is that you will probably need a custom fit suit to fit properly. If you will be making more tropical dives then you should probably have a lightweight wetsuit as well.

You're going to need a drysuit in any of the waters there. You may be able to get by with a 3 or 4XL, but if you're thin you should go for a custom. Some manufacturers offer a reasonable price and it well may be worth it.

Hey bigdoublef, our 4xl Fusion suit should fit you know problem, we've had guys 6,9 grab one of the rack and fit them fine.

Ditto on the Fusion. BTW, You can wear it to warm water sites as well.:wink:

Have only one problem with whites and that's cost. White's only authorrised dealer in the UK charges £1059.00 uk pounds= ~$1500 US for an off the rack fusion drysuit (which on the dealer's web site only goes up to 3xl). O'Three (a UK based Drysuit company with excellent reviews) charges £1050.00 for a made to measure front entry suit.(£950 rear entry)

Two quick comments ---

1. A custom-fit suit does a very nice job of providing warmth and thermal protection with a minimum of drag, excess material, and discomfort. Many drysuit divers who went with the custom fit will continue to do so with subsequent drysuits. There is a definite difference.

2. Much of the cost can be amortized out over the life of the drysuit. I got mine in the Fall of 2002. It is now the Spring of 2010, and I'm still diving it. Thus it will soon be 8 years old, and at an initial cost of some $2200 or thereabouts (?), I've paid about $275 per year to dive it - not including neck seals, wrist seals, and other standard maintenance costs. It's expensive, but not hideously so. I've had close dive buddies tell me that I paid far too much for a custom fit, but during the same 8 year period they've purchased three cheaper off-the-rack drysuits looking for a better fitting product. Nowadays we don't discuss the matter very often, as it is apparently a sore subject.

The only caveat to getting a custom suit is that if you truly intend to dive it for 8-10 years, (depending on how old you are when you get it,) be prepared to discover that the damned thing has mysteriously shrunken a bit some 5-6 years after you buy it. And in another 3-4 years, it has mysteriously shrunken a bit more. Probably something in the water. Anyway, it may be wise to ensure your waist and chest measurements are an inch or two to the large side when you have yourself measured for the custom cut. Just a thought.....

The only other item of note is that I've used my drysuit in water that was nearly 32 degrees F up to water nearly 75 degrees F, ...you vary the undergarment accordingly. Particularly if you are doing deeper mixed gas dives, IMHO there really is no better option out there for most diving than a good drysuit. They are reliable, flexible, and offer excellent thermal protection, and a good one will tend to last for many years. Aside from cost, (and depending on what sort of diving you intend to perform,) there really is no downside to a custom fit drysuit IMHO.

YMMV.

Hey guys, we prefer not to use the "C" word when refering to drysuits here at Whites. (custom) ouch! the great thing about the Fusions are no custom work is required, and you still get a great fit, super streamlined, no drag and it gives you more mobility then any other drysuit out there. It also eliminates the getting older shrunken mystery that can strike at any time. Another great feature is the inter-changeable skins, so you can pretty much upgrade to a newdrysuit at any time for a fraction of the cost. Also as teamcasa mentioned it is also great for travelling, so you can use it in any climate

Hey guys, we prefer not to use the "C" word when refering to drysuits here at Whites. (custom) ouch! the great thing about the Fusions are no custom work is required, and you still get a great fit, super streamlined, no drag and it gives you more mobility then any other drysuit out there. It also eliminates the getting older shrunken mystery that can strike at any time. Another great feature is the inter-changeable skins, so you can pretty much upgrade to a newdrysuit at any time for a fraction of the cost. Also as teamcasa mentioned it is also great for travelling, so you can use it in any climate

I want one of those ZERO DRAG drysuits. I bet if I wore it with my perpetual motion machine scooter and magic rebreather, I could dive for days! :shakehead::shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom