Exposure suit advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yingenics

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would really appreciate some group wisdom.

I am about 100 dives in, exclusively in warm places like Raja Ampat in March, Maldives in Jan, Cozumel in Nov, Ko Tao in June. I usually dive in a 3mm Bare wetsuit in ~30 C water, but I still end up being super cold. By the second or third dive, I can hardly wait to surface. By the last dive of the day, I have to will myself into the water.

I am 5'10'' and weight ~145 lbs. The wife has a similar proportion and the exact same problem.

We are thinking of doing some slightly "cooler" diving at Socorro Island (21-23 C or 70-73 F) during the humpback season.

Any suggestions for a second warmer exposure suit?

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered a semi dry suit?

7mm, for sure. Hood and gloves will help a lot. Get some practice time in with in before your trip.

For the warm water diving consider adding a hooded vest to your 3 ml. More comfortable then a 5 ml and much easier to pack. Alternative of course is a 5 ml.

For low 70's and your cold intolerance, I'd give serious consideration to a drysuit.

For the warm water diving consider adding a hooded vest to your 3 ml. More comfortable then a 5 ml and much easier to pack. Alternative of course is a 5 ml.

For low 70's and your cold intolerance, I'd give serious consideration to a drysuit.

Stupid question, does the hooded vest go under or over my 3mm wetsuit?

Stupid question, does the hooded vest go under or over my 3mm wetsuit?
Not a stupid question at all and I have seen it done both ways. I wear the vest under my full and its the way I have seen done most often.

I also have a core warmer that I sometimes use under the 3 and it makes getting on the full much easier but its a real hassle to pee between dives! And no attached hood. I perfer the hooded vest but I have actually used all three at once, hooded vest, core warmer and full.

The plus with a hooded vest is you get the torso and hood as a unit which I like. And of course you can also use either, hooded vest or core warmer with a 5 too.

Last edited:
A nice, lightweight, breathable drysuit would be a lot more comfortable, lighter, dry faster, and pack smaller than one of those semi-dry suits. And let you be warmer.

Like a Waterproof D9 or DUI 30/30.

A nice, lightweight, breathable drysuit would be a lot more comfortable, lighter, dry faster, and pack smaller than one of those semi-dry suits. And let you be warmer.

Like a Waterproof D9 or DUI 30/30.

I agree.

Have you tried one of these? Was thinking about getting something like this for warm water tech/CCR where I want the redundant buoyancy but don't want to sweat on the boat so much. Are they really comfortable?

I agree.

Have you tried one of these? Was thinking about getting something like this for warm water tech/CCR where I want the redundant buoyancy but don't want to sweat on the boat so much. Are they really comfortable?

I have a D9X, which is a tiny bit more heavy duty than the D9. I have only had it out on one warm weather boat trip - a weekend of diving down in NC back in September. I thought it was pretty comfortable during the SI's. WAY WAY more comfortable than my Bare XCS2. I was fine to keep it on, top still donned but unzipped, if I stayed in the shade. If I went up on the top deck in the sun, I would take the top off or take off the whole suit (which, by the way, is a lot easier than in a wetsuit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom