exposure protection question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We'll be on the Nekton Pilot in December for our first liveaboard experience in Belize. We have 3mm full suits, and intend to wear those while diving, however, having never done a liveaboard, I'm wondering if that will be enough. Should we consider buying a couple of 3mm core warmers to put over our full suits or will 3mm be enough.

We're fairly cold tolerant, typically being comfortable in 72-74 degree water in our 3mm suits, but we've never dove more than two tanks for 2-3 days a row.

TIA

Charlie99:
A beanie or a hood is a small, lightweight way to make a big difference in your heat loss. Whether or not you decide to add a core warmer to your wetsuit inventory, I definitely recommend you add the beanie.
When I was in Belize, I wore a beanie. Do it for all dives, not just when you start to feel cold. You lose a lot of heat from your head (especially some of us.):)
I wore a 3mm core warmer under my 3mm fullsuit. I wore it under since my fullsuit is from when I was somewhat heavier, and the core warmer filled in the extra space nicely. I saw many people very cold on the night dive (5th dive), but i was always comfy (until I got out of the water, that is). If your fullsuit is snug, then by all means wear the core warmer over it.

In December the average water temperature is 80 in Belize...

When I was there in May the average water temp was 83...I dove in T-shirt and swimsuit :)
My wife used a dive skin...

The slick part about Belize is the water temp at 100 ft is the same as the temp at 10 ft...no thermoclines :)

Paul in VT

yeah... it will vary from perso to person

i use layers of neoprene in 70degree water, and i've seen CBulla dive it in shorts
and a t-shirt

i'm a cold wus, what can i say?

i dive a minimum of 3 mil in the Caribbean

a hood makes a lot of sense. lots of your heat goes out through the head

I dive year-round in Belize in a lycra skin, and only exceptionally do I wish I had a bit more on - sometimes towards the end of a long (2 hr) tech dive or under way in an open boat after a night dive. Only you know how easily you get cold, but if I were going on that liveaboard I would take a dive skin plus a 3mm shorty, and only add the shorty on top if I felt the need. I would feel very warm in a full 3mm. But of course this is highly personal.

DiveMe:
We'll be on the Nekton Pilot in December for our first liveaboard experience in Belize. We have 3mm full suits, and intend to wear those while diving, however, having never done a liveaboard, I'm wondering if that will be enough. Should we consider buying a couple of 3mm core warmers to put over our full suits or will 3mm be enough.

We're fairly cold tolerant, typically being comfortable in 72-74 degree water in our 3mm suits, but we've never dove more than two tanks for 2-3 days a row.

TIA

Well thought question and all good responses.

Many such posts simply ask: "Gee, what kind of protection will I need in the Caribbean for December?" There is no answer to such a question.

You have explained your prior tolerance to cold as analyzed from experience and logging. Until one has that, there is absolutely no answer to this question.

You also show careful thought and research when you bring into the equation not only the factor of multi-day repetetive dives, but also that you will be on a liveaboard.

Repetitive dives have been shown to lower the body core temperature. Not by much, but then again- it doesn't take much! Your body burns a lot of fuel trying to adjust for these seemingly minor changes and fluctuations. (Oh, so that's why I eat like a pig when I'm diving!?!)

Your surface interval, the time your body has to recover from these exposures is an under-rated factor of really great impact. Ideally you would snooze in a warm sensory deprivation tank, floating in highly saline water, no pressure points on your body, perfect temperature, snoozing.... oops... back to the realities of a liveaboard.

So, at least, on a live aboard, your not retunring from a night dive in an open boat, crashing through the waves (like peterbj7 was mentioning). Ahh- the luxury!

Most liveaboards act like boats. They pitch, roll and yaw. The Nekton is very different. In heavy seas, the Nekton boats have a gentle rythmic slow lurch, not unlike a very large sailboat. In calm seas they has no perceptable motion. ("She's a slow ship, but she's ugly", sayeth the Chris, longtime Nektonite, and also calling her "The slowest moving Condo in the Caribbean") .

This Nekton feature is a big factor in improving your interval recovery. Your body, even when asleep, is taking steps to minimalize the effects of a rocking ship. If it isn't rocking- you're that much further ahead.

Air Conditioning is another big help. If you get under the covers and breathe the cooled air while you sleep in comfort... much better than fitful sleep while sweating in a moist, hot & humid bunk.

The sun deck's "hot" tub is also a big help. They keep the operating temp safely low, but it will bring your body tem back very quickly. I have been on some liveaboards that allow the hot tub temp to be in the thermometer range that you would find at a health club... for divers- a very bad thing. Nekton is just a warming bath.

Add to that all the food they will force you to eat, apres dive snacks, etc.

On this ship, the effects that you are concerned about will be minimal as compared to any other commercial live aboard.

DiveMe... with your fairly good resistance to chill, I would agree with the advice you have already been given... take a thin skin and definitely, and getchersef a beenie! Look at the coolest ones ever at http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm#hoods We came up with suitably whacky ideas, "Herself" got one that looks like a Tuxedo Cat with whiskers and tail! Beenies can be high chic!

Wetsuits? Best I've ever used: http://wetwear.com/ with full arm/leg zipper panels.

You'll be fine!

Wow, thanks for all the great replies!! It sounds like we'll be fine in our 3mm suits as long as we stay aware of how we're feeling between dives, and use the "warming tub" as much as possible. :wink:

We'll definitely look into the hood idea, and I love the funny ones that RoatanMan sent the link for! :10:

Back
Top Bottom