Exposure protection for Fiji in early June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading on a trip, (fingers crossed), to Fiji in early June. Beqa Lagoon to be exact. I have never been there and am wondering what would be the recommended thermal protection.

I dive dry pretty well exclusively, and haven't dove wet in over a year, so I'm wondering what would be appropriate. Not a "warm water wuss", I just LOVE diving dry, especially over multiple days and multiple dives per day.

That said, I read that the water temps are in the high-70s, (maybe low-80s) that time of year, so would a 2.5mil shorty be appropriate? I am worried about an aggressive diving schedule cooling me to the point of uncomfortability after many days of multiple dives, (planning factor of 3-5 per day, max).

The counterpoint is that a wetsuit is SOOOO much easier logistically, both in travel and pre-dive and post-dive prep and tear-down.

I own a 2.5mil shorty and a 5mm full. Should I take one (or both) of them, or drag the spacesuit?

I think you would freeze in the 2.5 shorty especially with multiple dives over multiple days! We dive Fiji in 5 mls and then add additional layers as the days go by! We are headed there in October and plan on the 5mls and then adding extra layers such as 3/5 hooded vests!

I took a 5 mm and a shortie to Fiji in late May. I only used the 5mm and a hood for 2 weeks of diving. As I recall, the water temperature was 76° - 79° F.

I am headed there at the end of June. I usually wear a 3mm full wetsuit in the Caribbean in March. With what you all have been suggesting I am wondering if I put a skin or another layer under on top, maybe with a hood if that will do?

I will be heading to Fiji JUne 2, staying at Matangi. I am a recreational diver and will probably do about 5 dives during my time there. In the Carribean and in Tahiti I have only used a rash guard in water that is in the mid to high 70's. I do have a 3 mm shortie but I am tall (6'4") and a little wider then I would like to me. I bought my own as using a rental is pretty much impossible due to my size. I prefer not to use the shortie as I look like the Michelin man in the suit, perhaps worse than the Michelin man. I have not been cold in the past.

Am I looking for trouble in my upcoming trip?? Should I take the shortie and hope everyone around me doesn't laugh?

I'd go with 5mm. If you're feeling really warm you can at least you can let some water in to cool yourself down. You don't have the same luxury with the 2.5mm.

So maybe the 5mm and a beanie for my head, (I have hoods, but I hate the stuffing of the neck-piece, and I don't care that beanies are "dorky".)

Still on the fence about the spacesuit, but I'll try diving wet a few times in May and see if I can go with it.

I'm just back from 8 dives/4 days in Rarotonga (same latitude as fiji) and dove Fiji in october same sort of profile
I dove both places in a 3mm shorty with no heating issues at all. BUT I would still prefer to dive in at least a 3mm full suit from now on but thats only because I was a bit casual one dive with some coral. That stuff bites hard.
A thought for you. Why not use a 5mm 2 piece -Ie bottom being bib n brace and top being a full arm shorty. That way you really have every eventuallity pretty well covered off. -dive with the shorty to start with and if you get cold pull on the bottom half.

Back
Top Bottom