Exposure protection – around Oahu in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We (family of three) just spent two weeks diving off Maui (both boat and shore). We all used 5 mil. I never got cold, but my wife and son both got chilled. They both said they would not go again without their sevens. Then again, I couldn't handle more than a five. My 3/2 was just borderline warm enough the two weeks we were there in June. The DMs on all the boats were using seven fulls, with some hoods on the second dives. I can't see your daughter being too hot in a five. (We even had a spot that required a 300 yard hike in full gear and weights. We didn't overheat in our fives.)

Sorry for the hijack; what kind of 3-tank night dive was it; never heard of such a thing?

It was with Ocean Concepts, three tanks (meaning three dives) with the 1st being an afternoon dive at Airplane Ledge, then the second (a twilight dive) and third (night) on the MS Mahi. They do one about once a month, and it's a pretty good deal for boat diving being that it's an extra dive for about half the price if you look at the cost per-tank.

Peace,
Greg

The question of comfortable temperatures in diving is a completely personal thing. If you haven’t already, my recommendation would be to rent her a variety of suits while you’re down there and start to gauge her comfort levels. This way you can create a base line of what type of protection she needs based on a location’s temps. I think this would be most valuable to the two of you in the long run. Just my opinion though.

Enjoy your trip and remember us poor fools who are FREEZING back home!

Hi Steve,
We dove the Big Island with Kohala Divers the week before Christmas and the water temperatures were around 77 deg. My son and I used a 3mm shorty which for us was adequate. My daughter, who is smaller and more suceptable to being cold, wore a full length 5mm suit and was comfortable.

Most all of the dive shops have rental suits available and will be able to offer your daughter a choice of wet suits. Have a great trip!

Steve, in February for total comfort diving numerous times a day, I would recommend a full 5mm for your daugther. Coordinate in advance with a local Oahu dive company for the dives, they may throw in the suit rental for free. Enjoy Oahu. :wink:

It was with Ocean Concepts, three tanks (meaning three dives)

Thanks for the education, had absolutely no idea what three tanks meant; not :idk:

I have heard of afternoon/twilite/night trips; wouldn't have asked if you put it like that. :shakehead:

Back on topic, while shorties may not be "uncomfortable" for some, I am pretty sure shorter dive times will be one result, because your blood will circulate to the epidermis much faster to keep you comfortable, raising metabolism and increasing respiration, at least for most.

The vast majority of tough guys like that are on the boat warming up in the sun well before the girls in 5 mm are done with the dive. :)

Chiming in to join the column of 5mm full suit divers when hawaiian ocean temps are below about 78˚. I dove in Kona last November using a full 5mm and was very glad I did. A 3mm would not have been enough over four days of three to four dives per day. I reserve the 3mm for use in Hawaii now from May to October and dive the 5mm all the rest of the year. I'm always comfortable and never too warm.

Back
Top Bottom