Exploring Lake Texoma: The report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Kunk and Timeliner at 9am ish at the front gate to Eisenhower park as planned. We drove back to the swimming area and just a leisurely walk down to the swim beach. Steps.... many steps. Going down, not too bad. A couple big steps, but hand rails are available and useful with a rig on your back.

Walked back to the parking area and geared up from the backs of trucks. It's a good thing it wasn't busy. I really need to fnd a better way of securing my car keys. Not leaving my wallet in plain view would probably be a good idea too. Nothing happened to it.

Made the walk back down to the beach with gear and waded in. I was in a 5mm, Kunk in a 3mm, and Timeliner in his farmer john. Surface temp 78*F. We discussed a dive plan, swam out to drop the flag, and dropped down. We promptly got separated and came back up. All three of us were carrying lights. This was a really good idea as it was the only thing that kept us together after dropping back down again. We dropped down again and began cruising. 5 foot vis or less. It got dark at about 25-30 feet. I marked 49 minutes at a max of 49 feet. Bottom temp 74*F. Head butted some stumps, saw some fish....

I didn't get a good look at the tails on the cats to see if they were lobed or like a normal cat fish tail, but I'm almost postive the darters were Texas logperch

All in all a good dive. Well worth further investigation.

Kory had to bail on us, and I didn't want to walk the steps again, so Timeliner and I went to investigate another spot. We drop up to Grandpappy point and put in by one of the boat ramps. We dropped the flag in a neighboring cove well away from the ramp so as not to give people issues with launching or recovering. It wasn't that busy anyway. No where near as interesting as the first dive. 41 feet 43 minutes. Temps same as before. Vis was a little worse without going to zero. Found some old trot lines, and markers. Not worth a repeat visit.

I would rate the steps at Eisenhower on par maybe a little easier than those at Mansfield. Some differences in design and tread height in places make the challenges different. Could be a challenge if they are excessively wet, or if it is roasting hot, even though they are shaded. I consider myself in pretty good condition and I was a little winded at the end of the walk.

I'll do this one again.

TwoBit

What He Said ! :D

I thought the Butterfly Cove dive was kinda cool and one that was intersting enough to do it some more and go on around the point farther. Actually, either direction would probablly be ok. 25 feet felt like 70 or 80 feet deep. the fish were pretty smooth along the bottom farther out into the lake. They were these tiny little fish that looked like catfish. It gave the Moon Scape a bit of whimsy.

BTW, No Thermo today .....

.......... :wink:

I'll keep a note on the reports from my dad-in-law about the vis. It's probably going to be crappy for a little while until the wind and rain ease up.

TwoBit

I almost forgot, the quote of the dive trip...

"You know the vis is bad when you put your fin on upside down." Timeliner

TwoBit

I almost forgot, the quote of the dive trip...

"You know the vis is bad when you put your fin on upside down." Timeliner

TwoBit

:rofl3: Oh man.....
Had it not felt painfull I may have continued to dive that way !

I can not recomend that dive @ Grand Pappy Point to anybody.
But still....I was not ready to surface after 50+ minutes. I still had lots of air and it was dark, murky, spooky, freeky stumps and trees, fishing lines, right next to a boat ramp and just down right tranquil to tell the truth.

But I liked the first dive much better and want to go there to Butterfly Cove again !!!

Back
Top Bottom