Exploring Cozumel's east side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

micknewton

Contributor
Reaction score
A group of us is going to be in Cozumel April 13-20. Becky (my wife) and I will be diving with Blue XT~Sea, but some of the others don't dive, so we would like to spend a day exploring the east side of the island, taking photos, maybe hit a couple bars, etc.. Becky and I are both avid amateur photographers, so beautiful scenery (white sand beaches with palm trees) is what we would like to see.

What is the best way to get there? Should we rent a car? If so, from whom should we rent?

Are there any 'must see' locations (like beaches, restaurants, bars) that we should be sure to visit?

Any help will be much appreciated.

What we have done, is rent a car for the day. That way it is at your leasure. Several places to do that....
Must sees...well, Mescalitos, definately Coconuts, several beaches along the way down to Marley's Place. Very scenic. But I like the beach at Playa Palancar the best....the one where you often times do the surface interval. Very beautiful, especially at late afternoon time.....Have several of my fav photos taken there. As soon as I make myself learn how to post here, I will do just that. The ocean has taken back some of the sand it left after Wilma on the east side, it has a more rugged look again now. All are good, I had a blast shooting pics on both sides. I enjoyed the Kite boarders on the east side..got some good pics of that both north and south of Coconuts.
Good luck!!

You never want to use "rent a car" and "hit some bars" in the same thought process there. Very unforgiving if you only get caught - heaven forbid someone hits you, or worse.

Let me see if I can find that discussion...??

Found it: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=176899

A very good discussion of renting cars there, why you always want full coverage, the one place that includes full coverage on a reasonable rental fee, why you never, ever want to drink and drive there, as well as how to enjoy you day and bar time both with an economical taxi van.

Hope this helps. Go ahead and post on that thread if you'd like, bring it back to the top, as it is very helpful...!! :wink:

There's some suggestions on that on that thread, but your hotel or dive Op may be able to help you on that, too.

Just to add a few things to what Don has already mentioned; don't forget to get the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com It is definitely worth the $8. Also, take a t-shirt or 2 from home so you'll be prepared for your visit to Coconuts or Mescalitos.

coconuts5.jpg

coconuts6.jpg

The rest of the East side photos are Here.

www.cancunmap.com Cozumel edition is certainly the most popular here on SB, altho there are others. I think it's well worth the $8, but you order it on approval. After you look at it - send money or map back. :wink:

With a group of you going, it would be best to rent a taxi(van) for the day, he would most likely charge arround $60 for the day. he will stop where you want, and patiently wait for you to move on to the next place. an offer to buy him lunch and all the sodas he can handle for the day would be a nice guesture and maybe get the overall cost down a little.

There are several bar/restaurants scattered arround the island, Chien Rio (sp?) is known for it's classic whole fried fish, Coconuts known for their margaritas (zowie batman!) and fantastic view, Mescalido's (again sp?), know for hospitality and cheap cervezas. with several others along with cheap blanket shops and such.

Lots of wide open beach over there for sun & fun, just remember it's usually pretty windy on the Caribbean side, so it can be a "contact hazzard".

Also, the surf usually has a very bad rip current so don't wade very far out into the water over there or you may have a real fight on your hands getting back.

sharky60:
With a group of you going, it would be best to rent a taxi(van) for the day, he would most likely charge arround $60 for the day.
Sharky, that sounds fine to me. I've driven a lot of miles. I'm tired of it and I don't enjoy it much any more. I'll gladly let someone else deal with it whenever possible.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom