Exploding SPGs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have always heard of SPGs exploding sometimes when a system is pressurized or chargeed for the first dive oft he day. I suppose this is why the agencies teach facing the SPGs away when furst charging a system.

I have never experienced or seen an SPG explode. I was wondering how often others have encountered this. Is it possible at depth?

I have had flooded SPG as well but still read the pressure in the tank. Also experienced O-ring leaks and spindle problems which tend to be slow enough a leak to repair at a convenient time.

I was wondering what catastophic failures from SPGs are the most common. Failures that would mean abort the dive NOW kind of emergency.

I have not experienced a guage exploding but I have had one blow out the rubber plug that is there to release pressure in the event HP air leaks into the housing. There was a very small leak inside so I ended up taking the guage apart to see the mechanism. I suppose if there was a big enough leak the housing could explode but I guess most of the leaks are caused by pinholes from corrosion and the plug blows instead of the housing.

I had always been instructed to point the guage face away so glass would not hit you. I am thinking the best method was to hold the guage sideways so the blowout plug doesn't shoot your eye out.

Old day problem, not a worry now. Old SPGs, had no blowout plug and when the Bordon tube sprang a leak the housing pressurized and blew.

Yes, way back in the day you were advised to turn the face of the gauge away from you in the event it blew the glass out of the gauge.

Now, the opposite is more or less true as the rubber plug will blow if the gauge leaks.

Wow, not one, but two that knew the correct answer... nice going.

What is the most likely faulure... I think leaking and reading too high (the bourdon tube has lost flexibility...) are todays most common issues.. I have seem about an equal number of both...

I never knew that. Very interesting. Any other odd happenings from the "good old days"?

Yeah, sex was safe.

It was not exactly safe, but anything you could catch, penicillin could cure...

Safe if you didn't mind being called "Daddy".

Granted, it was not (as I am wont to point out) without risk.

Back
Top Bottom