Explain to me why you own your own tank(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do. Not. Buy. Your. Own. Tanks!

Nobody here has mentioned it, but if you keep them in the same space, without oversight, things go wrong.

Here is the result of just 1 weekend alone:
Absolutely correct. I’d recommend you separate them immediately, or things will get worse.

When I got my first set of gear, I got this tank:
IMG_4109.jpeg

A few years later, this was the situation:
IMG_4110.jpeg

Another few years passed, and the little one was added:
IMG_4111.jpeg

That was fine for a while until a couple steels were added. Originally was a set of HP130s. I got rid of them a couple years ago, for some HP120s and things looked like this:
IMG_4113.jpeg

To be continued…

…continued.

In January of 2024, things got weird. By the end of the 1st week, things looked like this:
IMG_4114.jpeg

Before the end of the month, this is what they looked like:
IMG_4130.jpeg

Hopefully things have calmed down a bit.

Apparently, this is not unique to Scuba cylinders. I’ve got an even larger collection of propane cylinders.

Left alone in the dark tanks will reproduce. It starts with 1, then a 2nd shows up. Then you'll find a pony. Given more time all the stress of being left alone with a pony you'll find a couple tranks capable of handling it, HP steels. It only gets worse with time and darkness.

I know this is fuzzy math but my brain just works this way. Local to me is four quarry type dive location within 30 min to 3 hr drive. The gulf coast is a 6 hr drive. Based on the below my brain says buy tanks, don't rent.

As a rule of thumb for me I won't pay more than 50% retail for a used tank, anything over that and I will buy new.

LDS
$11 for tank rental (Air)
$8 Air Fill
$14 Nitrox Fill

Dive Site (Quarry)
$16 for tank rental (Air)
$11 Air Fill
$16 Nitrox Fill

New Retail
Alum 80 - $250
Steel 100 - $350

ROI on Alum tank is roughly 16 dives
ROI on Steel tank is roughly 22 dives

Two tank dive twice a month local is 4 dives or 24 for the season (6 months)

I know this is fuzzy math but my brain just works this way. Local to me is four quarry type dive location within 30 min to 3 hr drive. The gulf coast is a 6 hr drive. Based on the below my brain says buy tanks, don't rent.
My brain almost never says rent.

Just a couple of points.

If you are going to dive that quarry often, you may be able to get by with one tank for a bit. Assuming they can fill during your surface interval. Otherwise, you’ll need two, or in my case, apparently 8.

Don’t forget to factor in annual VIP, and a portion of the hydro cost (every 5 years).
The full purchase price of the tank doesn’t need to be factored into the ROI, as the value never really drops to zero. Worst case, it drops to a scrap metal value in the event of a hydro failure, but if not abused, these are pretty rare.
As a rule of thumb for me I won't pay more than 50% retail for a used tank, anything over that and I will buy new.
The 50% retail may work for AL tanks, but I think might be tough for some steels. As a point of reference, FB marketplace has some steel HP100s for sale nearby for $270-300. I’ve seen higher as well.

I bought the AL80s and HP120s new*. The HP100s were bought used. I got a real good deal on two of them, and a crazy deal on the other two. I was real lucky, but I wouldn’t count on those prices.

Point is, factor the used market into your cost. In the event that you decide you want out, you can always sell the tanks, so if you can buy locally for $350, and sell for $250, only that $100 difference factors in the rent vs. buy decision.

* I bought the HP120s new based on my LDS being great. I had gone to another shop’s Annual Scuba sale, and notched their regular and sale price. I then checked Scuba.com, and they were a bit cheaper after factoring in cost of a VIP and fill at my LDS. I then called my preferred LDS prepared to see if they would price match. They would, but turned out to not be necessary. Their regular price was significantly lower than the other shop’s “Sale Price.” So check prices before pulling the trigger.

put your tanks in one of the water tubs (keeps them from getting really hot),
Or, you can leave them in your trunk or back of your SUV or pickup truck. The fill hoses are long. Nice when you have multiple tanks and don't want to move them around to fill them. There are multi-connectors so you can attach several tanks to one fill hose.

The 50% retail may work for AL tanks, but I think might be tough for some steels. As a point of reference, FB marketplace has some steel HP100s for sale nearby for $270-300. I’ve seen higher as well.

That's crazy, I would just walk into the LDS and pay $350.

That's crazy, I would just walk into the LDS and pay $350.
I don’t disagree. Deals can be found if you are patient, but otherwise prices are nuts. They do hold value well, which can be good if you are selling. I paid nowhere near that for my 100’s. My price for all 4 combined was not far off of the cost you mentioned for 1. I wasn’t even looking for the last 2, but I just could not pass up on them. They were at a moving sale across the street. I just said,”These are mine, I’ll be right back with the cash.”

And really, when you think about it, they don’t really go bad. My ALs and 100s are old, but there are many tanks still in use that are MUCH older.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom