Experienced views on Apeks Flight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not consider the flight due to the proprietary hose connection it uses. I don't know why any manufacturer would do something like this.

I think they've done it to save weight and cost. But the longest hose size available is 36" which definitely limits the potential audience. The proprietary hose connection definitely seems to be a serious strike against the regulator for anyone who thinks they might want to go the GUE/DIR route.

Osric

Osric,
I have nothing but good experience of the Flight, which is the one & only reg I own.

Like you, I'm mostly an occasional warm water vacation diver, although I've also used it in the Irish Sea a few times, right on the 10C limit. (I'm based in the Isle of Man.) It breathes really well, and stands comparison with the more expensive/robust ScubaPro regs I use in the winter months.

The comments about the custom hoses are perfectly valid, but in my view their lightness and flexibility more than makes up for it. The way I figure it, IF I have an issue while on vacation (and I never have - yet ;-) I can always fall back on a rental for a few days.

One final point - it might be simply because mine is still relatively new, but it's a dream to connect to the tank, compared to the average rental reg. The thread/mechanism is ergonomic and smooth.

In my opinion I would not get caught up on the "travel" reg idea. What is the difference in a "travel" reg as compaired to a "non-travel" reg, only a few ounces. That is nothing, I would look more on a reg. that breaths well, has FREE parts for life, and is durable. I wouldn't get caught up on the "travel" reg thing, it is only a sales pitch. Check out the Oceanic Delta 4, it is a great breathing reg that is bullet proof and has free parts for life no matter how long it has been since you had it serviced.

Not to be a smart *ss, but have you used the search function? I have never used this regulator, but from what I remember people have reported problems besides the proprietary hoses. Also you should dive locally after a service just to make sure the regulator is functioning properly before taking it on a trip.

Not to be a smart *ss, but have you used the search function? I have never used this regulator, but from what I remember people have reported problems besides the proprietary hoses. Also you should dive locally after a service just to make sure the regulator is functioning properly before taking it on a trip.

From the original:

... I've searched around for more info and can't find much for or against it; ...

and no, there are not a lot of reports of "problems besides the proprietary hoses". One person claims it breathes hard to 10 who say it's awesome and he had his mis-tuned; owners seem to like theirs but generally don't seem to own a variety of regulators to compare with; and almost all data that search turns up is from 2010 (which I believe was when the reg came to market and therefore reflects very little real experience with it).

If diving locally is a requirement before taking any regulator on a trip that virtually guarantees rental as the only practical way to go. The time alone would cover the costs of rental.

Osric

I have replied to Flight ?? in the past. I turned mine back into Aqualung due to lack of be able to breath the quantity of air that was needed for my dives. Usually I work in medium to strong current in 90 to 100 ft of water. If your are going to play around in shallow water and not work too hard it will be fine, but if you intend to get more out of your diving on vacations example Coz deep dives, Keys deep wreck dives, than go with a better breathing reg. Any other Apeks, Aqualung, or Atomics would probably be fine. Forget the weight bit, I'm able to pack all my dive gear and clothes and usually weigh 48 lbs. I always carry my regs and computers in a carryon. Hope that helps.

Osric, most regulator problems seem to crop up after a service, that is why I recommended diving it locally first. You do not need to dive open water a pool will do. If you cannot dive it then take a look at Couv's sticky on regulator maintenance so you can check if the regulator is functioning properly before the trip.

Osric, most regulator problems seem to crop up after a service, that is why I recommended diving it locally first. You do not need to dive open water a pool will do. If you cannot dive it then take a look at Couv's sticky on regulator maintenance so you can check if the regulator is functioning properly before the trip.

There is a pool at my LDS where I'd get service done so it's not as impractical as I've painted it perhaps, and I didn't mean to imply you gave bad advice (everyone seems to agree that service -> problems).

It seems from the lack of response that the Flight isn't popular with those on SB and that certainly suggests looking elsewhere. I am starting to think, though, that I might as well just wait and rent once more. It'd be easier to convince myself that owning my own gear was worth it if I dove more frequently.

Osric

There is a pool at my LDS where I'd get service done so it's not as impractical as I've painted it perhaps, and I didn't mean to imply you gave bad advice (everyone seems to agree that service -> problems).

It seems from the lack of response that the Flight isn't popular with those on SB and that certainly suggests looking elsewhere. I am starting to think, though, that I might as well just wait and rent once more. It'd be easier to convince myself that owning my own gear was worth it if I dove more frequently.

Osric

Regulator servicing is fairly easy however, cus it's so easy some shops tend to do eyes half close. Simple things like a improperly seated valve, lack of lubrication, or simply poor ip pressure testing can all lead to a whole bunch of problems.

I won't rent a reg cus most of the times I have no idea what was done to the reg in the first place, second none of them breath as well as my own n lastly peace of mind.

This is 2kg of stuff I'll gladly take.

Last edited:
In my opinion I would not get caught up on the "travel" reg idea. What is the difference in a "travel" reg as compaired to a "non-travel" reg, only a few ounces. That is nothing, I would look more on a reg. that breaths well, has FREE parts for life, and is durable. I wouldn't get caught up on the "travel" reg thing, it is only a sales pitch. Check out the Oceanic Delta 4, it is a great breathing reg that is bullet proof and has free parts for life no matter how long it has been since you had it serviced.

Yep. The "travel" reg thing is only a sales pitch. Unlike the FREE parts for life. Combined with your misquote regarding service intervals.

From the Oceanic website http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/us/support-warranty/ under Alliance Advantage Program which supports free parts for life. "All products must be inspected and/or serviced annually by an authorized Oceanic Service Technician."

The issue of parts is negligible compared to the cost of servicing the regs.

If you're going to blatantly advertise a product you should take the time to actually get the terms right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom