Experienced GoPro users trying DJI Action 4s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver-6873

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking to hear from frequent divers (200-300 dives per year) 50-100ft who have been long time GoPro users and have recent experiences with the DJI Action line.

Looking for the good, the bad, and the mehhhh

Thanks.

Why does the number of dives matter? There are other threads on this forum describing the DJIs performance and output.

Why does the number of dives matter? There are other threads on this forum describing the DJIs performance and output. I am looking for input from photographers who use the camera often ( multiple dive per week, year round) vs those who may use it more on holidays.

I am looking for thoughts from divers/photographers who have used the GoPro and now use the DJI often (100s of dives)…

I am looking for thoughts from divers/photographers who have used the GoPro and now use the DJI often (100s of dives)…
Myself amongst many others (not 100s of dives but a few years with it anyways) - I posted sample videos too in an older thread. Note that while AOI has newly released QR adapters for the DJI action 3/4 - using the UWL-03 lens will block the UCC pinhole lens which is placed a few cm below the main lens - which means you cannot benefit from UCC if you decide to use wide angle dome lenses. The GoPro uses the main lens for UCC so it’s not an issue. Your footage is going to look comparatively lousy without it below 10mtrs even after trying to tweak it in post-processing.

I was very disheartened to find this as I badly wanted to buy the AOI range of lenses including the close-up lens - but it’s not their fault, it’s in the DJI actioncam design that uses a separate pinhole lens for UCC positioned below the main lens …

I still love my DJI for the output I can get out of it without a wide-angle lens though - I just resort to cropping the edges that look distorted at the corners. And You can get 3 batteries and a charger for $100 less than a GoPro with a single battery if you buy the adventure pack! (At 2022 prices - I see the Hero12 is a bit cheaper now), And the battery lasts two dives if used judiciously … else just swap out one after each dive …

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom