Experienced Divers: What are the most common "oh, crap!" situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for letting me ask a basic question. I'm a brand new recently-certified OW diver. I know that buoyancy control may be the most important skill at this point. But my biggest fear is having a panic attack when something goes wrong. In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face? Right now, in my limited experience, losing my mask is my biggest fear because I struggle keeping water out of my nose. Is that the answer? That is, focus my practice on those scenarios that I already know will likely induce panic. What do you say?

Note: I am reading and learning form the "What would you do?" thread that is pinned at the top of the forum.

Yep, that's why I mentioned in my original reply that it depends on who handles your tank. You may have done all the pre-dive checks and a "helpful" DM will "open" your tank for you when assisting you with putting your gear on.

Someone I know bought a Shearwater Nerd2 specifically to help her with her navigation because the compass is always just a glance away - it does seem to have helped her navigation.

Think I may have made myself sound more incompetent than I am :)

That computer looks interesting though.

Think I may have made myself sound more incompetent than I am :)

That computer looks interesting though.
Its only incompetent if someone else notices - otherwise... you just had a longer than planned dive to get full value from your airfill :D

The Shearwater Nerd2 is a great dive computer - if you only have to glance your eyes across to see things like air, deco info etc then you tend to do it more often than if you have to look at your wrist - especially if that means you have to take that hand off an underwater camera etc.

Yep, that's why I mentioned in my original reply that it depends on who handles your tank. You may have done all the pre-dive checks and a "helpful" DM will "open" your tank for you when assisting you with putting your gear on.
Yes, I always do a flow check AFTER donning the equipment, and right before striding/rolling off the boat. I also do various flow checks during my dives, mostly to practice manipulating the valves, but it's also reassuring to know they haven't been accidentally rolled off.

Anyone have an opinion on those XS Scuba Provalve things with the sliding concentric collars? Obviously a gear solution to a skill problem but are they good valves otherwise?

Anyone have an opinion on those XS Scuba Provalve things with the sliding concentric collars? Obviously a gear solution to a skill problem but are they good valves otherwise?
Do you mean the Vindicator hand wheels?

You can get them for most, if not all, valves. It’s just the knob, not the whole valve. I have them installed on my main tanks. They work fine, and the knob is larger than most, so easy to grip and turn. Easy to see at a glance that it’s on.

I’ve heard that some people don’t like them for shore dives as sand can get trapped between the collars. Shore diving is not really a thing where I dive, so no issue.

They do tend to be a bit larger than most hand wheels, and deeper. This is only really an issue if you use a star tool to change it. The wrench protrusions on the star tool around the hand wheel tool can interfere. A traditional tool will work fine.

Jumping off some stairs... with your air turned off and your BC not inflated.. never done it but seen it.

Mask breaks.. half way through the dive at.. say 30' and you don't bring a second. My dive buddy has done it. Let him borrow mine and called the dive.

Be mindful of overexertion and CO2 buildup. This can result in an increasing urge to bolt to the surface. It can come upon you suddenly during a short term burst of activity, but it will go away rather quickly if you just chill out, don't panic and breathe. Keep in mind that you have plenty of air in your tank. You just need to breathe and eliminate the CO2.

Back
Top Bottom