Experience level needed to dive with Current Junkies Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They ask for at least 50 dives and advanced level. They check the tides and know the dive sites by heart for when and where to go to see the most crazy spectacles. When they say go, you go and you'll find tons of mantas and sharks. It are all current dives.

170 logged dives under your belt is pretty good experience. Being able to relax & cool under pressure are good attitudes to have also. Here are my 10 things / skills / actions / rules to have for high current diving:

1. Having all safety gears with you in case you get blown away also will help you being relax & confidence during the high voltage diving. I carry the following safety gears with me to help me relax:
IMG_5911.JPG

2. Knowing how to do negative entry. That includes making sure there is no air in your BCD before back rolling into the water from a skiff.

3. Ability to equalize your ears quickly & continuously while going down to the bottom quickly is good skill to have when you dive in the high current.

4. As soon as you get to the bottom, stay close to the reef where the current is at the minimum (inside the boundary layer).

5. Be ready to grab on rocks at the bottom when a sudden gust blow you out of site.

6. You need to have a good buoyancy control as soon as you are at the bottom. See if you can hover up & down only by your breathing.

7. Face the current head on to avoid your mask from getting ripped off your face or have one hand free to hold on to your mask when you turn your head side way (perpendicular to the current).

8. Practice mask removal & replacement in your checkout dive. Some people carry spare mask in BCD pocket with them. I don't since I can do CESA without it.

9. Watch the angle of the air bubbles & seek for refuge behind boulder or crevice if necessary & wait till the bubbles no longer going horizontal or down to the abyss before moving on.

10. You can always thumb the dives anytime you don't feel comfortable. No dive is worth the risk of your wellbeing. You can always make another dive in a better condition.

Good luck & have fun diving in the current. Here is an example of fun current diving in Maratua Atoll:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom