Expect everything.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elvisisalive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is to my mate who just passed Tech 1. Eleven months ago we were in Fundies together, which is where we met. I provisionaled and she failed. Yup, failed. Almost walked out on day 2. Eleven months later, she has a Cave cert, is getting involved with GUE project work, and just passed Tech 1. What does it all mean? There's no beating time in the water. Perfect practice makes perfect. With constant mentoring from her instructor of choice, she is succeeding at this diving thing. Just thought I'd mention it as a way to congratulate her on an awesome achievement. At the same time, with all the Fundamentals course reports ending in smiles and hugs and a pathway forward, this is the "course report" that matters most. This is the one that initially ended very badly and by sheer determination, dedication, and a bunch of hard work has turned out so well. Here's to you Kate. P.S. Your gear likes you more with salt on it!!!

Last edited:
Great work Kate!

Perfect example of how with hard work and dedication, obstacles can be conquered.

Congratulations Kate - that's just freakin' awesome ... (where's that head-banger "rock on" emoticon)

Henrik

Kate - So proud of you!!!!!!! Congratulations on the Tech 1 pass. Hope to see you in cave country soon!!!!

Wow... that certainly wasn't what I was expecting when I was checking for new posts this evening! Thank you Elvis! :) It's definitely been a journey... I would not have thought I would be writing about this eleven months ago, that's for sure.

And yes Lynne, I've got a class report coming ;-) but in the interim... a couple of call outs...
First and foremost, to Karen Cleveland... for being an absolutely rocking teammate! (and congrats to you of course!!!)
To Gideon... for being an amazing instructor!
To ZG... for providing a great home base and making the logistics *effortless*
To my regular dive buddy... who helped me by *just diving* with me!
and of course, to Doug... for helping me to get past where I was in Feb, to where I am.

When I took Fundies the first time, I had never seen a DIR/GUE/UTD diver in the water (that I knew of). I'd really only passed a PM or two with a couple of people on Scubaboard, about GUE. And I certainly didn't know anyone in Atlanta. It took a little while to gain momentum, to start to connect with people who were interested in/already diving this way, but it DID happen. What I came to find, over the past eleven months, was a large community of people from one corner of this country to the other who ended up supporting me in one form or fashion. In short, several giving people. I am grateful to each of you who was there for me.

And Elvis, you NE wreckdiver: I hate to tell you... my old gear might like salt more... but my newer kit seems to prefer the sweeter waters! (with some salt thrown in every once in a while for spice of course :D)

Kate,

You are an inspiration to all of us GUE wannabees splashing around out there!

Congratulations. You're amazing!

Linda

Kate, welcome to the very select group of people who have had to overcome significant issues to become GUE divers. We may not have smooth courses, but we get where we want to go -- and most importantly, as this thread shows, make solid and dear friends in the process.

Congratulations Kate! Several of us also had to learn the hard way to put together our own classes as opposed to an instructor grouping a class of divers with varying experience & skill levels not to mention personalities. Great show of tenacity. :acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom