Expat Yank visiting Yongala in mid-april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely doable :) Just bear in mind that it's a 5.5-6 hour drive from Cairns to Alva Beach each way.

Heads up guys...This cyclone is happening right now - and is predicted to hit the coast as a category 4 in about 36 hours or so. Alva Beach is currently predicted to be ground zero. The Yongala may not survive this in tact.

Please bear this in mind, and give it until next weekend for everyone to recover before getting in contact with the dive shop to discuss things. The dive shop may also not survive this. It's a big'un.

17523229_1346277012095096_6123497161825235936_n.jpg

Stay safe up there WetPup. I think we dodged a bullet up here in Cairns but looks like you are going to get a bit of a flogging in Townsville. Thinking of you guys and more so Yongala Dive team :(

Honestly, looking outside right now, you wouldn't know it. Light breeze and marginal cloud cover. Suspect that will change by later tonight.

I'm just thinking back to Yasi. That smashed about 400km north of Yongala, but stripped off most of the coral growth and damaged part of the mid-section of the wreck on the deck side. If a cyclone did that kind of damage from that far away, makes me wonder how it'll hold up when it's a direct hit. Time will tell I guess.

Stay safe and under solid cover. I am in Bali, riding out the winter season with heavy rain. Best to all of the crew @Yongala

Honestly, looking outside right now, you wouldn't know it. Light breeze and marginal cloud cover. Suspect that will change by later tonight.

I'm just thinking back to Yasi. That smashed about 400km north of Yongala, but stripped off most of the coral growth and damaged part of the mid-section of the wreck on the deck side. If a cyclone did that kind of damage from that far away, makes me wonder how it'll hold up when it's a direct hit. Time will tell I guess.
keep me informed - im just about to pay deposit for airfares!!

Townsville escaped unscathed. The system ended up tracking a lot further south than initially predicted and basically smashed the Whitsundays-Airlie Beach region (where the "Dingo Beach" point is on that map I posted).

That being said, the Ayr-Alva Beach area did still get hit, and there will be damage there. Yongala Dive have indicated that they will be in the shop on Thursday to assess the situation on land. They might not send a boat out to check the wreck until the weekend though, because a combination off issues will have decimated the viz, and it's certainly possible that the mooring lines on the wreck are gone. If you had plans to dive on the Yongala wreck, get in contact with the dive shop maybe early next week, and they'll probably have a better idea of where things stand.

All good and up and running again out of Ayr :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom