Exhausting air less then 15 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, here is the deal...I have about 10-15 dives on my TLS350 and I love it.

My question is on techniques to exhaust air in the last 15 feet or so when ascending. I am having issues controlling my ascent in especially the last 10 feet or so and I dont think it has to do with being underweighted, but rather exhausting all the air in my suit. The reason I say this is when I get to the surface and do a buoyancy check I am properly weighted and when I exhale I do sink a little under the water.

Does anyone have this same issue? I don't want to add more weight to offset this issue. I am exhausting air all the way to the surface, but cant seem to get it to exhaust ahead of time like at 15 feet....even though I get my valve at the highest point...ot atleast i think i am.

comments/clarification/questions.... :44:

Do you drysuit types even use your lungs? seriously, I have no idea. your lung volume must play a smaller compensatory role... I use my lungs so much I barely ever use my BC inflator. In fact I dove about a year with it disconnected. At depth, I do a tiny puff orally.

Jep, do you keep the dump valve on the shoulder open?

i do... i never have issues with air in the suit that way

i also keep a minimum amount of air in the suit (a TLS350), just
enough to prevent squeeze

it's not an issue for me

Are you trapping air in your legs? I had to learn to drop my feet and go a little out of trim to move the air up to the valve, and in that last 15 feet, you have to stay WAY ahead of the curve and vent before you think you need to, or it gets away from you. My suit also doesn't fit very close to my body, so there are a lot of wrinkles and such to trap air, too.

I don't put much air in the suit, but I do put some in, and it ALL has to come out.

Yes, the valve stays open the entire dive..all the way... I also use the suit just to offset the squeeze and use my wing for buoyancy...and yes, the wing is deflated.

Cath, yes you need to use your lungs for the fine tune adjustments just like a warm water dive.

TS, I think that is the problem...I noticed my legs arent as tight when I'm ascending as when I am descending....I do get vertical and raise me left arm....I even tilt to the right a little to ensure the valve is the higest point. It's not a pretty site, but I dont think I am getting all of the air out. I am diving tomorrow and I'm thinking of adding a couple more lbs until I get this squared away. The last 15 feet are the most important on ascent so I would like to be more controlled.

Jep, before i added any weight, i'd really slow down the ascent and give the air
plenty of time to migrate from your feet (worst case scenario) to the valve

and i'd be on top of that wing. you really need to work the wing. worry about the
wing and work it real hard (forget about the suit) for a dive or two and see if you
get any results.

Remember to dump early and often as you assend from all air pockets since you have a new one now. It does take practice though and you will get it soon with the good advise you have already received above. Good luck.

Chad

ckharlan66:
Remember to dump early and often.......

Chad

What he said...... Early and often are the key. Take notice of the squeeze on your suit that you have at 10ft when you descend. That's the amount of squeeze I try to keep on the suit for the entire dive.

Well, I'll try adding less air, but I have come up with some marks on my chest from the squeeze, so I have been adding more air not to get the marks...I still feel the snug of the suit..im not swimming in it.

I'll work on it a little more tomorrow. I do ascend very slowly...especially the last 20 or so...I'm probably ascending the last 10 within limits...but not to my liking.

I'll give a full report on how every foot goes tomorrow.. :)

Back
Top Bottom