exhaust valve location...

• Bicep

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Forearm

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
Where do you like it and why

The forearm position certainly gives you extra-precise control of your bubble - especially if you dive in very good trim. And it keeps you from loosing suit gas when you roll to look back under your left arm. If you have a need to reduce inadvertent loosing of suit bubble, (such as a caver perhaps) it's a winner. I have a lot of dives with an old suit that had a cuff dump and really liked it.

OTOH, the shoulder dump is just so darn easy to get rid of bubble when ascending (in trim). Just a shrug and out it goes, as opposed to moving the whole arm. This is especially nice when scootering.

Since we dive with a scooter just about every dive, it's not a surprise that I prefer the shoulder - but - I don't think there is a right answer here, more like which option suits your needs better.

All the best, James

I had a cuff dump and didn't like it at all. It seemed as though there were many things I did with my hand that would result in dumping gas inadvertently.

I now have, and have had on all my favorite suits, a dump which is not on the biceps, but on the outside of my upper arm. (Sort of midway between the biceps and triceps muscles.) In this position, the suit will almost auto-dump on ascent, and if it isn't bubbling out fast enough, all I need to do is push my elbow a bit behind me, and that will do it.

Having had two suits with the shoulder dump and tested one with the forearm dump. I perfer the shoulder dump due to having a 2 VR3's, 1 slate and 1 compass. I feared putting the slate or one of the VR's above the dump due to the feeling that the bubbles could not get past the bungee cords and prevent dumping of air. So simply ran out of room below the dump (arms too short or dump too close to wrist). OTOH, one suit has too much excess material and the dump flops around when trying to press it to vent bubbles. Since you did not include the shoulder dump as an option a bicep dump might be a good choice for me (unless you ment shoulder dump vice bicep dump).

Having had two suits with the shoulder dump and tested one with the forearm dump. I perfer the shoulder dump due to having a 2 VR3's, 1 slate and 1 compass. I feared putting the slate or one of the VR's above the dump due to the feeling that the bubbles could not get past the bungee cords and prevent dumping of air. So simply ran out of room below the dump (arms too short or dump too close to wrist). OTOH, one suit has too much excess material and the dump flops around when trying to press it to vent bubbles. Since you did not include the shoulder dump as an option a bicep dump might be a good choice for me (unless you ment shoulder dump vice bicep dump).

I did not know that there was a shoulder dump.. or maybe what I think is a bicep dump is a shoulder dump. If so can anyone post pics...

Last edited:
Here is ze "shoulder dump" AKA as the "outside upper arm dump"

MAScamera1.jpg

This is how the suit comes stock. Most every dry suit manufacturer supplies it in roughly this position. If you look over my shoulder, you can see that Michael's DUI has the dump in the same place.

All the best, James

Thanks James! The 2 suits I have dove with have had them in the same place. The reason I asked about the forearm version is that I saw one last week at the beach and wondered if this was any good. Looks Like I will be staying with the standard as this seems to make the most sense.

I like mine on my shoulder but I cannot say I have experience with the forearm style. But all i have to do to dump a bit of air from my suit if its not auto dumping is flick my shoulder up and I get a nice little burp of air. Which makes for easy control of the air bubble. As I hold my arms under me when diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom