Exercise Value in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
I was wondering how much exercise is gained from diving. I know that if I dive 3 dives for approximately 45 minutes each with the approprate surface intervals I am very tired for the rest of the day and if I don't eat enough between dives and drink plenty of fluids I end up with a headache.

It seems like the headache is due to not getting enough intake and putting out too much???

So my question is who knows how many calories are burned when diving (I know there are a million factors here, just some ballpark info) as well as any documentation about this.

A friend I was diving with this weekend mentioned you burn 850 caleries in an hour of diving. Heck that is more than..err...anyway we won't go here.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know any numbers pertaining to calories burned but I know what you're talking about. When we're on a dive trip, doing 4-5 dives a day, I'll actually lose weight regardless of how much I eat and drink.

Nitrox has helped the fatigue tremendously...I don't care what anyone says! Your headache may be from CO2 retention. Are you breathing normally, not holding your breath?

How I feel after a dive has as much to do with the deco procedure and how I ate and drank prior to the dive than exertion underwater.

If I don't deco out correctly even if I ate well, I feel tired -- sub DCS.

If I don't eat and drink correctly prior to a dive, but deco out correctly, I'm OK.

If I exert during the dive, deco out correctly and eat and drink prior to diving, I'm OK.

If I know I have to do shallow shore dives and exert, then I eat a lot of fat and protein for longer energy supply and drink a lot of water. I stay away from carbs and sugars which burn quickly.

I'm not in excellant shape for endurance, so I believe tiredness has more to do with decompression and, to some degree, food and water intake than exertion (for the most part). This is what I've seen in myself. Based on the way most divers are decompressing (even recreational divers), I would blame this for fatigue rather than exertion.

To answer your specific question...I have no idea. :)

Mike

I have heard similar info to yours, only approx 1000 cal per dive. I don't know wether dive is one single dive or a day of multiple dives. I do know that the calories burnt are from trying to get on the 7 mil wetsuit and have absolutely nothing to do with what happens in the water hehe.

Butch :peace:

Originally posted by Butch103
I have heard similar info to yours, only approx 1000 cal per dive. I don't know wether dive is one single dive or a day of multiple dives. I do know that the calories burnt are from trying to get on the 7 mil wetsuit and have absolutely nothing to do with what happens in the water hehe.

Now that could be fun on Video. Butch 103 in speedos trying to get into a 7 mil wetsuit.

Any women out there interested in the video?

Butch, as your manager, hush and smile pretty for the camera. Well split everything right down the middle 70/30 with you getting the 30 cause after all you are the star.

So videos are going for $19.95 plus $5 shipping and handling. (not you butch, the videos...silly Canadian)

Thanks for all the replies I think we are on the right track now.

No I don't hold my breath under water so that should not be a problem and it seems that so long as I eat and drink (and be merry) between dives I don't get the headache.

Still looking for more facts on caleries burned while diving.

Heck maybe we could have a "Richard Simmons Dive-A-Thon"

Or "Diving To The Skin-Foldies"

Hi syruss32:

You can figure a diver's energy expenditure if you know their oxygen consumption (VO2) and their CO2 production (VCO2). If you want to make it a little easier (VCO2's are hard to find published), you can estimate the VCO2 by assuming the diver has a normal diet and metabolism and has a typical respiratory quotient (RQ = VCO2/VO2) of 0.9. You then use the Weir equation to calculate energy expenditure.

EE= 3.9(VO2) + 1.1(VCO2)

or estimating with RQ

EE= 3.9(VO2) + 1.1(0.9 X VO2)

Multiply by 60 to convert "per minute" to "per hour".

You can find examples of VO2's for various underwater activities published in the US Navy Diving Manual in Chapter 3, Figure 3-6 and in other publications. (Researchers tend to look at VO2 rather than calories.) You can find the US Navy Diving Manual online at http://diverlink.com/library/usn/ .

Using the info from the US Navy Diving Manual to create an example and get the rough number you're looking for, a diver swimming at 0.8 knots has a VO2 of 1.4 l/min

EE= 3.9(1.4) + 1.1 (0.9 X 1.4) X 60 min/hour = 410 Cal/ hour*

Or you can use a helpful calorie calculator I found on the website of that famous and respected medical journal Good Housekeeping that includes scuba. I have no idea where they got their numbers, but you can find the calculator at:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/gh/diet/fitness/00burn15.htm

It'll give you about the same number the formula did (grin).

HTH,

Bill

*Don't quote me on the formula or my results. As you probably know, I'm a mathophobe. "I have people who crunch the numbers for me" to give me the results of the Weir equation when I need them. It might be right, but I'm not sure. I included it more for fun and the "documentation" syruss asked for than anything else.

I think something that has been overlooked has been the fact that you use a lot of calories keeping yourself warm in the water. Even with water temps of 85F, your body is still working hard keeping your core temp up.

And of course this effect is compounded in cold water. After a day's diving in my drysuit in any of the FL Springs I am very hungry (and sometimes tired, although that seems to have tapered off with the use of Nitrox).

Also, I expect it depends on how good your overall physical condition is. Someone who is in better physical condition will be expending less energy finning and have a lower heart rate than someone who is less physically fit.

BTW, sometimes headaches are not only a sign of dehydration but can also be indicative of a drop in blood glucose level. So snacks with some carbs or sugar in them can be helpful in restoring your "energy level".

Just some thoughts... yeah, I do have 'em occasionally! :wink:

~SubMariner~

etc.....obviously the more "in shape" someone is in the more cal they will burn. Their bodies work far more effeciently than those whom are not in shape.

Now we are not talking about their body shape of course. :nono: this just creates drag. hehe.

And some of us are in pretty good shape for the shape we are in .

And also one doesn't exercise immediately before or after diving. remember ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom