Exercise/Exertion after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've read a number of places and seen posted on here several times that heavy exertion after diving is bad. I get that it leads to the formation of nitrogen bubbles and therefore the bends.

But what I can't seem to find is:

How long after diving do you have to wait before doing anything physical?

Obviously it will vary by your dive profile for the day/days. But, do you have to wait till totally off-gassed (by computer estimates I would guess)? Is it similar to the amount of time you'd have to wait before flying (18 hours or so)?

How do you figure out how much exertion is "too much"?

Unfortunately, Dr Deco, the expert that has studied the problem of how exercise and exertion affect offgassing and bubble formation is off on vacation for a while.

My somewhat limited understanding of the subject is that mild exercise increases circulation and has a positive effect on offgassing. Since increased circulation increases absorption of N2, a thing to avoid is working hard while on the bottom, and then being relatively still at deco stops or the safety stop. Mild exercise/swimming will help keep blow flow rates up and keep good blood supply to tissues.

Exertion, as in a strenous physical motion like lifting a heavy weight or climbing back onboard with a heavy tank on your back can cause bubble formation. Tribonucleation is the term that some (but not Dr Deco, I think) use for this effect. It's kind of like near instantaneous small bubble or nucleus formation caused by creating little pockets of low pressure in the joints. Obviously, this is bad.

If you are serious in researching this, the best places to go search are 1) DAN, and 2) http://www.rubicon-foundation.org which is a repository of many, many hyperbaric medical articles.

Charlie Allen

It depends on how much residual nitrogen is left in your blood after all of your dives for the day. Studies show that we all develop micro bubbles, and or micro nuclei in our blood as a result of the dive. These don't lead to the bends, but it could predispose you to getting a hit if you exercise to quickly. You have to determine what works for you, but a minimum time would be as long as your dive tables show for you to off gas. For multiple dives over multiple days, you might want to wait for 24 hours before running a marathon. My biggest concern is to be conservative. Don't push a workout just to get it in. Let's not forget that there are those who get bent for no apparent reason, even when they follow a conservative profile and safety stop. It's just a managed risk of our sport. As for how much exertion is too much,:confused:. I don't know.

Well, the basic reason I'm asking is this:

I'm pretty equally interested in rock climbing and diving. I have a trip to Malta coming up in November, and given my complete failure to get any decent number of dives in this summer I want to dive a lot. But, Malta also has spectacular multi-pitch trad and deep water solo climbing, and if I don't climb while I'm there I'm going to be pretty upset.

Likewise I'm looking at Cuba next Spring, and the same situation exists there; incredible climbing and incredible diving, and I want to do both.

I'm trying to figure out how to plan my trips so I can make the most out of both activities without putting myself in danger.

Try a search for this topic and you will find a wealth of info already posted.

Back
Top Bottom